Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-24-2011, 07:45 AM   #1

Share |
Exclamation

Ground wearing out from under garage concrete pad

Hi everyone. I've been a long time lurker to this great site and now I need your help.

Last night, with all the torrential rains we've been having, I discovered a hole in my asphalt driveway where it meets the concrete pad to my garage. There's a downspout right there and when I looked closely, I noticed water pouring in from the downspout right into the ground. It's created a hole big enough for me to get my hand into and so far the hole is now growing under both my driveway and garage floor. It's about the size of a soccer ball. I rerouted the downspout completely and have covered the hole with a piece of plywood in the hopes of stopping the majority of rain getting it.

I REALLY need some suggestions on how to deal with this issue and fast before this thing grows and my driveway collapses or worse....

Thanks everyone.

vernonl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 08:14 AM   #2

Fill the hole with an angular gravel and compact as you fill. You might need to enlarge the opening to fill and compact properly. When you get it high enough, fill in the asphalt and compact that as you go until the surface is level with the rest of the driveway.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 12:22 PM   #3

Thanks Ron,

That was my first instinct but I wasn't sure if that would be enough to stop the erosion. I'll definitely give that a shot.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:28 PM   #4
Next Time...New Build

The first issue, which you seem to have addressed is diverting the water away from that area, and more importantly, making sure it stays away. After that, follow what Ron said and you should be good.
RickyBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:53 PM   #5

Thanks guys. Here's hoping that when I open it up it's not bigger than expected. I've got a stamped asphalt driveway so it would suck to have to patch it with plain asphalt.