Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-16-2008, 02:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Ground moisture under crawlspace

Hi. I am helping my parents to sell their house and there is a problem with moisture in the ground in the crawlspace. One potential buyer was turned away b/c of this so I am exploring options of how to eliminate this problem. As far as I know, there isn't a problem with mold in the crawlspace b/c there is moisture barrier plastic on the ground under the entire house.

Basically, the part of the house where the ground is most saturated is next to a small hill (about 4 ft. high) that causes this problem. What I was thinking of doing was planting some shrubs or bushes in between the house and the hill to try to soak up a lot of the water as it flows down the hill and under the house.

Can anyone give any other suggestions for alleviating this problem? Thanks for your help

sherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 02:59 PM   #2
DIY'er

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherp View Post
Hi. I am helping my parents to sell their house and there is a problem with moisture in the ground in the crawlspace. One potential buyer was turned away b/c of this so I am exploring options of how to eliminate this problem. As far as I know, there isn't a problem with mold in the crawlspace b/c there is moisture barrier plastic on the ground under the entire house.

Basically, the part of the house where the ground is most saturated is next to a small hill (about 4 ft. high) that causes this problem. What I was thinking of doing was planting some shrubs or bushes in between the house and the hill to try to soak up a lot of the water as it flows down the hill and under the house.

Can anyone give any other suggestions for alleviating this problem? Thanks for your help
Do you have working drain tiles / and a sump pump?

How small a hill? Can the entire area be regraded to the water does not flow near the house?

Is the foundation damaged that it is allowing the water in? Are you seeing water inside under the plastic, pooling? or is it just moisture?

I doubt plants are going to help.

Jamie

jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 05:11 PM   #3

Thanks for your response. There are no drain tiles or sump pump. Regrading is not feasible. I'm not sure if the foundation is damaged and there is no pooling under the plastic barrier, the ground is just completely saturated under the plastic. Is this a serious problem? Are there any types of plants that could help to soak up the water in the ground? thanks again
sherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 07:42 PM   #4

Is there any air flow? Check the elevation and see what happens when it rains. Good luck.
biggarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 07:05 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 25

Usually putting a couple of fans down there running on on timers will do the trick.. You should also check into putting a dehumidifier in there it will be running constently but it will be a temp fix whithout regradeing or any of that type of stuff. It really isnt much of a serious problem unless it gett incredibly damp enough to start rotting the floor system. Check your vapor barrier for big holes a tears to make sure all that moisture stays underneith . Also check to see if you have vents coming out of your foundation if you live in a warm area let them vent. If you are in a cold area dont let them vent or your pipes will freeze. You can also pick up a cheap fan heater at homedepot and set it up under there.

Last edited by kevin211mvd; 12-19-2008 at 07:11 PM.
kevin211mvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 06:11 PM   #6

Personally I don't consider damp ground under plastic a serious problem as long as water isn't puddling.
You have two options. Either trap the water coming down the hill and divert it away from the house or install a sump pump in your crawl space to collect the water and remove it from your crawlspace.

Probender is offline   Reply With Quote