Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-22-2009, 04:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Ground level deck

So I am going to build a ground level deck out to a above ground pool, with another deck level with the top of the pool.

I have many questions, so I will try to get to all of them one at a time.
I have a sliding glass door with a concrete patio out the back. Problem is when it rains it builds up on the concrete. The dirt is higher than the concrete so I plan on tilling the dirt to make it level. My confusion is with how to get the best out of my deck when it comes to the base. Do I pour concrete and attach metal base brackets to a 2x6 wood frame, or do I use the metal base brackets and attach it to a 4x4 block and then attach the 2x6's to the 4x4. I'm all sorts of confused. I don't want the brackets to show, and I want a smooth looking finish with no metal showing. How?

I have a picture of the backyard, but I want to extend the ground level deck from the end of the house in the left to before the small kitchen window on the right.

Take a look and let me know my best options. I belive I also put down some weed block matting and sand? Help me out. Pictures of what to do are welcome. I need it! Thank you.

Ground level deck-back-view.jpg

Last edited by Daddyshammer; 07-22-2009 at 04:47 PM.
Daddyshammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 05:40 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Ground level deck

Do you mean a patio - with blocks ?
With the slider that low I can't see how you can build a deck

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 10:44 AM   #3

Ground level deck

The slider is pretty low, and I am not sure what to do about that, but dig around the patio to make the dirt lower than the conrete, so most of the wood either rests of the concrete or get rid of the concrete all together....thats alot of work though.
Old 07-23-2009, 11:06 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Ground level deck

If I was going to do this I would possibly look at having the concrete stained
The only way I would put a deck in is as a step up from the concrete
I also prefer a deck at the same level of the pool
Then possibly another deck lower to the ground

Found this online - very nice

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 12:21 PM   #5

Ground level deck

Wow, thats nice. The only thing is there is not enough concrete to stretch to the end of the house as it is. I want to entertain and have a spot for a table as well as have something around my pool that looks good. I am getting one of those intex pools with the metal pools that keep it up, not a $3000 pool like the one in that picture. The one I have priced cost about $500- $800 for a 24' around a 52" deep.

I was thinking once I level the ground around the concrete I can use sleepers so the deck will be level to the ground and just at the right heigth....
Old 07-23-2009, 04:28 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,124

Ground level deck

A ground level deck there will accumulate stinky water under it because you'll have to lower the ground level to accomodate the joist heights and there is insufficient drainage to get that water away from the deck and house. Put in a nice patio of concrete, bricks or whatever. It will last a lot longer than the deck, require less maintenance and not cause water problems.
jogr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 04:43 PM   #7

Ground level deck

Quote:
A ground level deck there will accumulate stinky water under it because you'll have to lower the ground level to accomodate the joist heights and there is insufficient drainage to get that water away from the deck and house. Put in a nice patio of concrete, bricks or whatever. It will last a lot longer than the deck, require less maintenance and not cause water problems.
How will stinky water accumulate under the deck. I don't plan on leaving everything as it is and just building. Right now I have 6 -8 inches from the patio to the bottom of the door to work with. I also noticed that when it rains it accumulates near the farthest corner away from the house, not near the house at all. (This is also a bad picture, I might add) This accumulation is because the dirt around the patio is not level with the patio. I think I can use concrete anchors on all four of the corners of the deck, but leveling the ground will take some tilling around the edges. If i do this I will have an inch or so to get some air underneath. 2x6 should work fine...I don't think any accumulation of water will happen if the area is level to drain out toward the yard.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:57 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 250

Ground level deck

just did a similar job where the HomeOwner had a small cement pad and wanted a larger deck. We suggested to them to
increase the size of the cement pad and cover it with bluestone or some artificial stone.
Bottom line, it cost twice as much as a wood deck but they'll never have to change it. Power wash once in a while and
thats it where as a wood deck . . .
pros and cons to everything.
II Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 04:21 PM   #9

Ground level deck

Quote:
just did a similar job where the HomeOwner had a small cement pad and wanted a larger deck. We suggested to them to
increase the size of the cement pad and cover it with bluestone or some artificial stone.
Bottom line, it cost twice as much as a wood deck but they'll never have to change it. Power wash once in a while and
thats it where as a wood deck . . .
pros and cons to everything.
So increase the slab. Ok I do see your point, but I have never poured a concrete slab in my life, and the one I have now is cracked already. I have used the concrete crack filler, and I wouldn't mind a bigger slab, but I want it to look very nice for entertaining. Any pictures?
Old 07-28-2009, 05:15 PM   #10
long island, NY

Rewards Points: 250

Ground level deck

I think the other poster was saying water would accumulate beneath the deck becuase you would have to remove the concrete and excavate the earth below in order to accomodate the deck footings... would form a lake down there when it rains...

I agree with others... pavers are the way to go. It's difficult to see the details of your lawn and patio.... but it almost looks as if the soil grade might pitch towards the house by a couple degrees. If installing a paver or brick patio, you definitely want it to pitch AWAY from the house by a few degrees. This is the current problem in our yard. If the pitch of your cement patio isn't correct, or if there is a significant crack in it, you might want to demo it, and establish a paver patio on the undisturbed earth below.

There are a lot of websites explaining paver installation.... It's backbreaking work and you'll have to rent some equipment, but it's fairly straight forward from what I understand....
diy'er on LI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 04:26 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 10

Ground level deck

Paver's, or a whole new concrete pad i'd recommend. Great for drainage, and high traffic areas. Labor intensive, Yes, but will out last wood.
Wood decks/pressure treated frame, close to the the ground or not should be on piles, sonotube and concrete with brackets set in. Most support and movement, you can buy brackets that set into the concrete to fit 2x6 Does the whole back yard slope from right to left as in the pic?? A Pool needs a smooth level base does it not? May have to level the yard first?
d.sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 08:07 AM   #12

Ground level deck

Geez, I didn't realize the picture would be taken so literally. The picture is a bad one at that. It does not slope from right to left. There is a crack in the cement slab, but it does slope away from the house. Like I said before it does not collect water near the door at all. It collects at the farthest point away from the house. The gradeing is fine, except for the crack. I am also not worried about the pool because I am having it professinally done and they grade the yard with a bobcat and level everything with cement sand. No worries on that part. Next weekend I am cutting trees and stump grinding. After this I will have to pour something into the stump I am going to grind because it will be under the pool, and I don't want any sink holes after the fact.
I think paving the patio or replacing the entire thing is too costly for me at this point. I'm not going to live in this house forever, and breaking up a 6 inch slab of concrete 9 1/2 ft wide is not going to happen. I have seen many instances where sleeper boards are used and anchored to the concrete with wedges underneath the sleepers. Besides I explained the complication to the wife and she wants a deck non the less. So daddys gotta give her what she wants. I think it will last for the time I am in the house or possibly longer.
I will anchor wedge bolds into the concrete and if needed further from the concrete, I will use concrete piers for support. I must have some type of anchor though. From there I will probably build an octagon shape for some stairs up to the pool and then a larger deck on the side of the pool. Something large enough to accomodate some outdoor furniture.

Here is a better picture for now, of the back patio. And a very rough scetch of what I may do with the decking. No intex pool...upgraded to a real above ground pool. Thats another reason why a patio is not in the budget.
Ground level deck-0722091740.jpg

My Sketching skills
Ground level deck-deck.jpg

Last edited by Daddyshammer; 07-31-2009 at 08:13 AM. Reason: bigger picture
Old 07-31-2009, 08:30 AM   #13

Ground level deck

Could you do it something like this picture where there is a step and then up to the first deck which actually would be about 12" off the ground? The deck would be on footings.
Attached Thumbnails
Ground level deck-deck.jpg  
baum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 09:06 AM   #14

Ground level deck

That would be nice but my the pool is going to be about 3 ft from the slab in my backyard. I have almost no room when it comes to the patio up to my pool. This is why i was thinking of a stacked deck up to the pool. I am going to have them bury it a little bit so as to not be too high.

Last edited by Daddyshammer; 07-31-2009 at 09:08 AM. Reason: more info
Old 07-31-2009, 09:10 AM   #15

Ground level deck

Couldnt you do something like this, then hae it overhand only the 3 feet to the pool? or have this be the same as the slab, an then step up in around the pool?

baum is offline   Reply With Quote