Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-22-2009, 03:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Question

Groin/Double Barrle Vaults

So this is my first post. I am a student looking for some help on a subject I can not find much information on. I am currently designing (Im in architecture) a building that I would like to include a groin vault ceiling into. My problem is I do not know what materials to use for this. I know that originally that is was done in stone but that buts lateral forces on the wall that I dont want to content with. I was hoping to use either wood or steel framing and then use GWM and plaster or something to get the desired look without the lateral loads to contend with. If you all know anything or a good sight to look at that would be great. Im going to have to do section cuts and other drawings so I need to know how it is assymboled. Any information would be helpful. Thakns.

DrummondA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 06:26 PM   #2
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 0

Groin/Double Barrle Vaults

You're on the wrong forum for this kind of advanced carpentry. I've done six in my 45 year career. And it really never got to be what I'd call fun.

There is at least one company that will pre-cut the pieces for you and ship them to a jobsite..... though they also push heavily for their own crews to do the installation. Not a bad idea, at all.

Besides the fact that there are probably no less than a dozen styles of simple rib vaulted ceiling/vestibule layouts... not counting the hundreds of really intricate and complicated applications... this is a job you are going to have to search a lot to find someone willing to tackle. It's slow going, and it is exorbantly expensive.

But to try and answer your question. As usually built today, it's basically a timber frame supporting 1-1/8" plywood ribs (plywood to be able to cut the curves) covered by thin wood lath strips (because they are flexible) which are then wire lathed and plastered.

Drawing it: In it's most elementary form, it's nothing but one long arched hallway....... duplicated, then rotated 90 degrees on the central vertical axis. Then erase the extra center sections. Most any second-year drafting student could draw one for you.

Really not all that difficult to construct, but the builders have to be able to visualize the desired outcome. And work methodically.

Try researching "Rib Vaulted Ceilings".

Last edited by Willie T; 02-22-2009 at 06:31 PM.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
groin vault, steel framing