Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-02-2008, 02:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

grind concrete pad?

I need to REALLY take down a concrete pad. I have a great house and a small income, so some friends and I worked together to dig out a foundation that is 48', mortar a block foundation wall and pour a pad for a small addition onto my kitchen. We did ok, but the pad was done last and in a hurry. The result is not nice to look at, putting it mildly. Its bumpy and not level or smooth. The good news is that it exceeds the 4" requirment for code, so I can grind it down if need be.
How should I go about fixing this? the whole thing is 6 by 15 feet. Not all of it needs to be corrected, just a significant part. Whats the best way to take down, level and smooth this sort of a problem? I would like to take it down at least 1/2 inch in the worst places. It will eventually be covered bv tile, but still parts are way to high. I have a 4" grinder but that seems way too small for such a big area and unwise since it would be really hard to be sure to get it level with such a small tool. I am willing to rent equipment if necessary.
Thanks,
the all thumbs concrete person

calvinspal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 02:43 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

grind concrete pad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvinspal View Post
Its bumpy and not level or smooth. The good news is that it exceeds the 4" requirment for code, so I can grind it down if need be.
You might be able to use a "scabbler".

Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 02:53 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

grind concrete pad?

I looked at scabblers after this post - thanks!
A scabbler would clearly do the job. It might do it too well. I think the scabbler looks like the ultimate option, but Im not sure, it may take off too much too fast and be hard to control??
calvinspal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 04:00 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

grind concrete pad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvinspal View Post
I looked at scabblers after this post - thanks!
A scabbler would clearly do the job. It might do it too well. I think the scabbler looks like the ultimate option, but Im not sure, it may take off too much too fast and be hard to control??
I used Google Images to search for the exact phrase

"scabbler injuries"

and came up with nothing.
So far,so good. . .

Last edited by Yoyizit; 08-03-2008 at 07:23 AM.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grind concrete pad cement