Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-27-2011, 10:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Green Fiber in walls

I would like to put Green Fiber in an 8x12 shed/cabin that I am building. I know that I get the blower for 24 hours from Lowes or Home Depot. Typically when I read about putting Green Fiber in walls it is for retrofitting walls and it is put in through holes cut in the walls. What's the best way to do this when building new 2x4 framed walls? It would be nice to do this without having to cut and plug holes. Someone told me that the blower that you get from the box stores isn't strong enough for insulating the walls but it doesn't seem like you would need a strong blower because your just gravity filling them. Thanks for any advice.

lukabrazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:54 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Green Fiber in walls

Suggestion: go over to greenbuildingadvisor.com and search for dense packing cellulose (if that is what GF is. Pretty much the same deal if it is 'glass). It may be best for you to dense pack into a slot in the wall, and fill it in afterwards. Robert Riversong has been dense packing cellulose for decades and has posted a lot about it on the GBA site. Builditsolar.com also has good info, though mostly for double-stud walls. Force 1 and Force 3 blowers are tough enough. Our Ho De Po rents them. You'll want to shoot for 3.5 lbs/cf. Also, in a place that small, it may be about a wash stuffing cotton or wool batts into the wall, and air sealing well (which is standard normal, regardless of insulation).

jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote