Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-21-2011, 02:27 PM   #1

Share |

green board or tile for ceiling in a low standing shower?

I'm building a small standing shower about 36x32 in the basement. it'll be a pretty small space and the ceiling is about 7ft tall. I'm currently in the process of putting up durarock for tiling within the stall and was wondering if anyone have recommendations as to if i should tile the ceiling as well? This would be just for the ceiling space above the shower stall because a lot of moisture will get kicked up.

cost aside, i'm generally concerned with the weight of the tiles/durarock over someone's head as opposed to a green board.

tx

vote4Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 04:12 PM   #2

If you install it correctly, you will not have a problem.

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 04:26 PM   #3

do you mean the durarock or green board install? i've done durarock and tile before for side walls, it's pretty sturdy. just never installed it on the ceiling and wondering if it's a common practice for low ceilings due to moisture.
vote4Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 04:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vote4Pedro View Post
do you mean the durarock or green board install? i've done durarock and tile before for side walls, it's pretty sturdy. just never installed it on the ceiling and wondering if it's a common practice for low ceilings due to moisture.
I'd use cement board in a wet area. The tiled ceiling would make sense to me in a confined area, but I've tiled many bath ceilings that were standard height.
I'd make sure the vent fan was sized correctly and there was no ceiling drop down(header assembly) to trap moisture in the shower area.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 05:37 PM   #5
Tileguy

I've been installing ceramic tile and tilebacker board on shower ceilings for decades. Never had a problem doing it. Last week I installed 20" porcelain tile on a 7'X9' shower ceiling.

Here's my little suggestions FWIW.

#1. Use Denshield and not cement board.
#2. Denshield can be glued in addition to screwing it, cement board can't effectively be glued.
#3. Install the proper hi-lo-thread screws every six inches.
#4. The main thing is to install the ceiling rafters/joists on 12" centers.