Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-04-2006, 01:54 PM   #1
General Contractor

Rewards Points: 25

Green board/ good or no?

What is the deal with using green board for a bathroom un-tiled walls & Ceilings. Contractors I have notices are going back to just using regular old drywall. My guy says drywall prime and 2 coats of paint is all you need. I know the reason isn't he's cheap, but it a moisture control issue. Does anybody know, because I would like to know.

Thanks...

fqp25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 04:08 PM   #2
Master Craftsman

Rewards Points: 250

Green board/ good or no?

It's supposed to be mold resistant and water resistant. It is not water proof or mold proof. Your best line of defense is what you said, prime and 2 coats. An eggshell or higher sheen is better.

Dave.

Old 09-05-2006, 11:37 AM   #3
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Green board/ good or no?

Look Up XP-board at the NATIONAL GYPSUM website, if you want a full description of MR and Mold resistance....

We use it from time to time (For Over-kill) the only situation where I think that it was a 'must', was in an room that had a steam room off of it, in a basement.

Do like Like Big Dave said...should be fine.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 01:52 PM   #4
They're all fixer-uppers

Rewards Points: 500

Green board/ good or no?

Atlantic, I'm still not seeing that purple board showing up in the big box stores around here. The HDs and Lowes' near me all don't have it. Have you noticed it out in your area, we really aren't that far apart.

FQP - I used greenboard in my bathroom on the untiled walls. I'm really not sure how much difference it makes, I just think it gave me a small sense of security - probably false but oh well. I used Sherwin WIlliams "bath Paint" and "pro block" primer. It came out great. I have one of those high pressure shower heads without a restrictor washer - Still, moisture hasn't been a problem at all.
J187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 08:11 PM   #5

Green board/ good or no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by J187 View Post
Atlantic, I'm still not seeing that purple board showing up in the big box stores around here. The HDs and Lowes' near me all don't have it. Have you noticed it out in your area, we really aren't that far apart.

FQP - I used greenboard in my bathroom on the untiled walls. I'm really not sure how much difference it makes, I just think it gave me a small sense of security - probably false but oh well. I used Sherwin WIlliams "bath Paint" and "pro block" primer. It came out great. I have one of those high pressure shower heads without a restrictor washer - Still, moisture hasn't been a problem at all.
Yeah, that's funny, I was in HD last week and one of the Contractor counter people was telling me about a deal they had on MR board. I told them about the XP Board, and she had never heard of it.

We buy it from a Drywall supplier in Tyngsborough, MA. They have almost every kind of Sheetrock you can imagine.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:33 AM   #6
They're all fixer-uppers

Rewards Points: 500

Green board/ good or no?

Does said supplier sell to everyone or contractors only? Often, I can't even find different sized Drywall at the local box stores. In case a need arises again soon, Tyngsboro is only 35 minutes or so away.
J187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 10:00 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 250

Green board/ good or no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fqp25 View Post
What is the deal with using green board for a bathroom un-tiled walls & Ceilings. Contractors I have notices are going back to just using regular old drywall. My guy says drywall prime and 2 coats of paint is all you need. I know the reason isn't he's cheap, but it a moisture control issue. Does anybody know, because I would like to know.

Thanks...
I look at it this way, Evert little bit helps.
Darylh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 07:37 PM   #8

Green board/ good or no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by J187 View Post
Does said supplier sell to everyone or contractors only? Often, I can't even find different sized Drywall at the local box stores. In case a need arises again soon, Tyngsboro is only 35 minutes or so away.
We have been buying Our Drywall supplies from them for over 20 years.
They are really great people. They sell to anyone (Not just Contractors) and are very knowledgable and helpful.