Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-04-2012, 12:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Gravel Type for Post Hole Drainage

I understand that it is a good idea to put gravel in the bottom of a post hole to promote draining. Is there a preferred gravel to use for this application? Is Pea gravel better than limestone?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

napergman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 12:14 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,148

The term gravel (in engineering classification) means the fraction of soil greater than approximately 1/8 inch in diameter. Pea gravel is a colloquial term referring to gravel which is typically greater than 1/2 inch in diameter. Gravel may be made of essentially any kind of rock, including common types such as limestone, granite, or sandstone. For your purposes, it makes no difference what kind of rock the gravel is made of. Your local material supplier will have a range of gravel size from 1/8 inch up to at least 3/4 inch, it may be called crushed stone, it may have a local name, as long as it contains only a small amount of fine material (less than 10 percent by weight) it will work well for drainage.

Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel Holzman For This Useful Post:
napergman (02-04-2012)
Old 02-04-2012, 12:27 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Fantastic explanation. Thanks. I can go to a local quarry and get small amounts (under 1000 lbs) of any limestone I want for free. Just saved me some cash.
napergman is offline   Reply With Quote