Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-28-2010, 04:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

grandpagordon

I have big sunroom with lots of plants that produce lots of humidity. We live in a cold inland climate, so I'm getting condensation in the attic when the weather is cold. Is there a way to prevent this and still maintain the humidity that we like? How about closing the vents and insulating the whole attic to keep it warm, ceiling and all? Will power venting solve the problem or is it just impossible to have it both ways?

grandpagordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 11:06 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

grandpagordon

You would need to isolate the sunroom from the rest of the house.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron6519 For This Useful Post:
grandpagordon (01-02-2011)
Old 01-02-2011, 08:14 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10
grandpagordon

Thanks for the reply. Isolating the room would of course be an option,(It already has two entrances into the house), but I have many plants in the house as well, so I leave all the doors open to the sunroom. I have never had to heat the sunroom because it stays about 55 degrees even in the coldest weather, which is a great winter temperature for most of the plants I grow. It does not have independent heat. The sunroom is over 500 square feet, all glass and aluminum, with a cathedral ceiling and humidity at about 70 to 75 percent. We have a very large house (over 3500 square feet on each of 2 levels) also with cathedral ceilings. The humidity in the house stays at about 50% which I am told is OK for many plants and great for people as well. The problem is that the attic is small by comparison because the cathedral ceilings cover most of the house. All the heat and humidity are apparently funneled into the smaller space. I have been told that 50% humidity in the house is fine, but I would need to turn the attic into a conditioned attic. I should have said all this before (sorry!) Is a conditioned attic really a viable solution? None of the insulation has ever gotten wet, only the attic ceiling.
grandpagordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 08:20 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

grandpagordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpagordon View Post
Thanks for the reply. Isolating the room would of course be an option,(It already has two entrances into the house), but I have many plants in the house as well, so I leave all the doors open to the sunroom. I have never had to heat the sunroom because it stays about 55 degrees even in the coldest weather, which is a great winter temperature for most of the plants I grow. It does not have independent heat. The sunroom is over 500 square feet, all glass and aluminum, with a cathedral ceiling and humidity at about 70 to 75 percent. We have a very large house (over 3500 square feet on each of 2 levels) also with cathedral ceilings. The humidity in the house stays at about 50% which I am told is OK for many plants and great for people as well. The problem is that the attic is small by comparison because the cathedral ceilings cover most of the house. All the heat and humidity are apparently funneled into the smaller space. I have been told that 50% humidity in the house is fine, but I would need to turn the attic into a conditioned attic. I should have said all this before (sorry!) Is a conditioned attic really a viable solution? None of the insulation has ever gotten wet, only the attic ceiling.
You need an onsite evaluation of the humidity cause in the attic.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron6519 For This Useful Post:
grandpagordon (01-03-2011)