Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-09-2010, 08:11 PM   #1

Share |

Grading soil away from the house

I have a sided house. In the process of building up the soil a little against the house so that I can get the right pitch away from the house, I wanted to know if there was a reason why I would not want to build up the soil agains the siding. The siding goes pretty far down to the top of the old soil level, and then I can see the foundation wall begin. I have now raised the soil in this are up against the siding and graded down from there away from the house. However, a waterproof contractor says that I should never have the dirt up against the siding and that I should have 5-6 inches of foundation wall showing, and that is the level I need to begin my grading. Unfortunately, that isn't going to be possible. But I wanted to know if the way I have it now, a couple of inches up the siding, is going to cause seepage into my basement as the contractor suggested.
barkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 08:16 PM   #2
General Contractor

Soil up to the siding is not code, not good for your siding (unless it's vinyl (still not ok anyway)) and not good for moisture management.

You may need a drain if for some reason you have to bring the soil up that high. Is there a reason you have start the grade there?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Portland, OR
Rory Read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 08:38 PM   #3

As I understand 8" is required by code....I like 12"
Termites, carpenter ants & other bugs love when you bring the dirt closer to the wood of your house - their food
Plus it may mean more moisture & wood rotting
All depends upon siding, gutters, plants, shade etc
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 09:05 PM   #4

You didn't say what type of siding you have:

Plates & Sills
�� Bottom of sill 6in min to earth (PT or naturally durable if <8in above earth) 2304.11.2.2
Wood plates and sheathing closer than 8in to earth and supported by exterior foundation walls must be PT or naturally durable. 6in OK if hardscape exterior.
�� Sill treated or decay resistant (on concrete slabs on earth) ___________ 2304.11.2.4
�� Pressure-treated wood fasteners req…. _____________________________ 2304.9.5

Be safe, Gary
Clean the ducting in the last six months? 17,000 dryer fires annually!
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote