DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

grading for new addition

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  vsheetz 
#1 ·
hi im new here and dont know if i posted in the right place but I have a question to ask and hope somebody can help me.

We have a ext. house with a f.f level of 101.13 and I want to grade the area for the new addition to 100.00. So my question is what are these numbers and how do you get them I know that f.f is finished floor but what does 101.13 mean is it inchs, feet what is it are there any books I can buy or read to learn about this I want to do the grading myself to save money.

Thank you.

#2 · (Edited)
The simple answer is that the wood must be at least 6" above the FINISHED grade and it be sloped away..

The 101.13 is the height above some datum that was used for surveying purposes or it could be relative to the mean sea level, but you did not post your location, so that is just a guess. The numbers are probably in feet and decimals (6" = .5 Feet), so you have to be careful about drainage from the higher area and water from that.

You will probably have to provide the grade elevations if you want a permit and code protection.

Dick

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.