Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-22-2011, 10:17 AM   #1

Share |

Grading foundation and well windows suggestions

Hi Everyone,

This is my first house and the inspection guy told me i need to fix the grading .. I do see that the soil has gone down lot of places... so to fix it can i just buy topsoil from home depot and put it around the house or do i need something else too.

Also if you see the well windows their rim is very close to the ground so water can go in easiley any suggestion to how i can fix that would be great...

thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Grading foundation and well windows suggestions-phpfekpmjam.jpg   Grading foundation and well windows suggestions-phpljbslaam.jpg   Grading foundation and well windows suggestions-phpoxcpwwam.jpg   Grading foundation and well windows suggestions-phprxhy5mam.jpg   Grading foundation and well windows suggestions-phpv6qeolam.jpg  

newhomenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:42 AM   #2

To change the height of the window wells your going to have to dig around and see if there screwed or bolted to the foundation, once there detached you should be able to lift them to the height you need. There ribbed so you may have to dig out around them to get them to move.
It would take way to many single bags to be able to raise the grade along the length of the whole house, you going to have to order a dump truck load.
Did they find water in the basement or leaks? If so then your also going to need working gutters.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 01:35 PM   #3

Code, at least here in CT, requires 8" min. clearance between the finish grade an bottom of wood (siding). The soils within the first 5 feet must slope away from the structure with a minimum pitch of 5% (3" drop in 5'). From the looks of it, you may have to excavate soils to achieve the required grading. Also all downspouts must be extended to discharge no closer than 5' from the face of foundation. Believe it or not, splash blocks are actually a code violation, though it's rarely enforced.

joecaption had it right that the window wells need to be fully dug up in order to move them.
Old 12-22-2011, 03:28 PM   #4

I don't see how much regrading you'll be able to accomplish with the driveway so close and at the level it is. Seems a few inches below the level of the top of the window well at present.
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 08:31 PM   #5

so for the grading should i contact a landscape person? are they the people to fix the grading ?

thanks
Old 12-22-2011, 10:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhomenj View Post
so for the grading should i contact a landscape person? are they the people to fix the grading ?

thanks
If you don't have garden tools and don't want some free exercise, sure...

From the looks of the picture you should be taking dirt from the 5'-0" mark on "yard" side and putting it against the foundation on the driveway side. The existing grade against the foundation on the yard side looks like it can't go much higher, so you should cut down the yard. The foundation against the driveway looks like it has room to be buried more to allow a downslope to the driveway surface.

A pick axe, shovel, rake, wheel barrow, a gallon of water, and a gallon of sweat and you'll be well on your way...
Old 12-22-2011, 10:07 PM   #7
Too Old

If you have time to make a plan and understand what you need to have repaired before you hire a contactor you will be able to get a better understanding of what you will be paying for. I do not suggest to call a contractor and tell them "I need to have the grading fixed per the home inspector" The grading has been in place for a few years and being you would like it to be right you need to see what needs to be fixed. Others have given guidlines to follow and you should be able to get an idea of what needs to done.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:57 PM   #8

I can buy the basic tools and top soil from home depot and put it myself around the house
but if you think i need a whole truck load then I will not be able to handle that big of a job....
do i need dirt or can i just put topsoil?

and for the well windows for now i was planning the buy the bubble cover ad put that...

thanks for all you help
Old 12-23-2011, 07:00 AM   #9

Quote:
do i need dirt or can i just put topsoil?
I would only recommend screened topsoil for what you need. Before you buying a truck, you should evaluate what you have. As I said above, from the photos, it looks as though you need to taketh away in some areas and add in others. With that you may find you don't need much at all.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:42 AM   #10

any suggestion to how much landscaper cost to fix such type of grading?
Old 12-27-2011, 09:45 AM   #11
JOATMON

Quote:
any suggestion to how much landscaper cost to fix such type of grading?
This is a DIY site....as in Do It Yourself.....we don't know that price because we would DIY.

Besides, it's much more fun to DIY....then you know it's right....or wrong.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote