Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-11-2013, 06:13 PM   #1

Share |

Got a deal on some trusses - will they fit

I want to build my new workshop 32' wide X 48' long. My local truss fabrication shop has 24 2x4 trusses that are 32' 3 inches long that someone ordered but didn't pay for. I can't see how the extra 1.5 inches on each side would matter. They said they would be strong enough to hold drywall at 24" on center. There is also 2 gable trusses. they want $1500 for the set. They said normally they would be $2600

hartkem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:15 PM   #2

Have you poured the slab yet? if not just pour it the correct size for the trusses.

You could nail a 2 x4 or 2x6 on both sides, full length. Or use structural screws. Their great!

Last edited by deverson; 01-11-2013 at 06:17 PM.
deverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:50 PM   #3

I haven't poored the foundation yet but I prefer to stay at an even 32' cause I don't want issues with 3" to short on siding or plywood etc. I can't understand why the 1.5" overhang would matter. It would be covered by soffit.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:34 PM   #4

You should have an over hang anyway for venting and so water will not just run down the siding.
I build everything with a minumum of 6" over hang.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:37 PM   #5
DIY staff

The truss makers said they would be fine---they are the engineers so you have the answer---nice big work shop coming up!
Old 01-11-2013, 09:48 PM   #6
journeyman carpenter

actually the 1 1/2" overhang of the bottom chord could work to your advantage.. you can us it as a nailer for wood soffit if you run a perpiducular 2x4 to the trusses.. you might have to tweak the overhang of the top chord though for the height of the fascia board to work out
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:29 PM   #7

As long as the engineer says the trusses will work with the wall sitting 1.5 inches from where it normally would you will be fine.
A 2x6 top plate might also resolve any issues of the the truss position on the top of the wall.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:53 AM   #8

Ill have to talk to the owner. Only the receptionist was there and even though she was very knowledgeable I want to make sure. One thing I notice is the gable end trusses are framed 16" on center. I will be framing 24" with 2x6 walls. I guess If I have an issue with siding alignment I can just add in a stud on the gable or sister it to the side of another. Don't see how that would hurt anything either other than only every 3rd stud would align with the wall studs. Being double 2x6 top plate I don't see this as an issue.
The Following User Says Thank You to hartkem For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (01-13-2013)
Old 01-13-2013, 09:59 AM   #9
AHH, SPANS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartkem View Post
Ill have to talk to the owner. Only the receptionist was there and even though she was very knowledgeable I want to make sure. One thing I notice is the gable end trusses are framed 16" on center. I will be framing 24" with 2x6 walls. I guess If I have an issue with siding alignment I can just add in a stud on the gable or sister it to the side of another. Don't see how that would hurt anything either other than only every 3rd stud would align with the wall studs. Being double 2x6 top plate I don't see this as an issue.

change your nail patterns when you reach the trusses. studs have different layouts and change in walls compared to the attics sometimes. once you find one they are all 16" from there...

Also, consider adding boxing so that you have overhangs on the building and the trusses sticking out will not matter a bit.

hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote