DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Got a 18"x60" granite slab, how can I mount it to a wall outside for a bar?

7K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Canarywood1 
#1 ·
Hello

I got a 18"x60" granite slab (countertop) that I want to mount on the side of my garage wall in my backyard so people can place their drinks on it like a bar while we converse on sunny afternoons. I might even get some bar chairs for it.

How can I mount this thing on the side of the wall, sticking out like a shelf, so that it is secured firmly without danger of falling off under its own weight? I don;t want to place "legs" on it in the outside corners (like a table), I want people to be able to put chairs under it from any side.

Make sense?

My garage has redwood siding on it and regular 2x4 studs which are exposed on the inside, in case that helps.

I appreciate all constructive replies. :)

#2 ·
You first build a very strong shelf to put in on. Granite is actually fragile and you can easily break off chuck if it is not supported.

In a kitchen island they use steel bar laid over the cabinet and cantilevered out almost to the edge. I would suspect you could bolt 3/4 steel tubing or angle iron to the each stud and extend it out.

#3 ·
I would suspect you could bolt 3/4 steel tubing or angle iron to the each stud and extend it out.
How would you recommend fastening it to the wall? Mu first thought is to use some sort of a brace like this (only bigger and more attractive):

http://www.westernsafety.com/haws2010/hawsimages2010/H7149MS.jpg

Maybe build it out of wood and place it under the slab to prop it up. But kids might try to hang from it, so it would have to be VERY strong.

#4 ·
Was thinking incorrectly that the studs were exposed on the side the counter was on. I guess you could drill holes though the wall to get to the studs.

If you can tolerate the angled supports that will work but many want the counter to appear to have nothing under it. You also have the issue of the angled support getting in the way of chairs and peoples legs and such.

You may be able to find a 1 inch thick metal shelf used for closets and lag it into the studs.

#5 ·
I did something like that in my garage......

I do have one little leg over on the end....

If you use a sheet of 1/2 OSB or plywood in place of the vertical boards I used, it could take the shear load....but....you will need to make sure your end is securly attached to the garage. You will want it bolted at the top to your wall in several places.....

I would not trust lag bolts to hold the top....instead, I would drill through the wall to the other side and install a plate that transverses at least 2-3 studs. It will actually be easy since you have open studs on the inside....

I would block between the studs...then make a plate of ether plywood or 1/8" plate steel....then use 1/2 bolt with some really large washers. The larger the area you distribute the force over, the stonger it will be and the less problems you will have.

#6 ·
ddawg: Imagine your bar, but 90º rotated, hanging off the wall, preferably with no visible supports. That would be what I'm looking for.

I'm realistic about what I'm asking. It's for a 4th of July party, and I'm also landscaping the backyard, building a deck (today), installing a gas firepit & barbecue, and laying down DG. I might have 1 day to work on the bar if I'm lucky. :)

#7 ·
Oh...I see....you want it against the garage length wise.....

That is even easier.....

Fabricate some L brackets....You could use 1" square tube....

One end sticks through the wall and outside about 1" less than the depth of the bar. On the inside, leg of the "L" bolts to the stud. You would want one on each stud.

So now you have maybe 4 tubes sticking out of the side of your garage. On top of that put a 3/4" sheet of plywood. That granit needs a solid base. You also want to make sure it is level and straight.

Set the granit on top and just use some silcone to hold it in place.

You can then make a nice box below the top to hide the tubes.

I would suggest painting everything before you put the granite on top....use exterior paint...the darker the better...that way no one really sees it....

#9 ·
I agree with making a "box" under the granite, it would look a bit strange with just the granite floating there. But I wouldn't paint it dark, I'd want it to be completely visible for aesthetics.
But if you paint it dark, it makes it much easier to see the black widow nests....you know, those white spinny balls?

Acutally...I just assumed he would want it dark since he wants it to look like there is no visible support. The granite should have a bullnose edge that should hid part of the support.

#10 ·
ddawg16 said:
But if you paint it dark, it makes it much easier to see the black widow nests....you know, those white spinny balls?

Acutally...I just assumed he would want it dark since he wants it to look like there is no visible support. The granite should have a bullnose edge that should hid part of the support.
Ive edited my post a bit, in my opinion it would look better (no black widows around here to worry about, either) but its up to the OP how he does/wants it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.