Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-16-2008, 10:21 AM   #1
tnb

Share |

Gonna side my double wide, how do I find the lowest corner. Please Help

Can someone please help with this. I am going to side my double wide with LP Smart Side, was wondering how do I find the lowest corner of the house to start on, I beleive that is what I need to do if not please let me know . thanks and any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks Again

tnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 11:16 AM   #2

Use a laser level or a water level. The water level is a long hose or tube with at least the last few feet transparent. You fill with water and place one end at one corner and check the relative height of the other three corners with the other end. The water will always be level with itself at each end once it settles down so you can tell what is high and low. Make sure you don't have a cap on either end of the tube.

If you find the corners aren't all the same height shouldn't you level the whole trailer first before you begin siding?

jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 03:46 PM   #3
frozen peas & toothpicks

4 Options
laser level, though you won't be able to see all 4 corners at once...but process of elimination can skinny down the lowest.

string level - get landscaping/constr. string and a string-level, and (with help) pull corner to corner, again process of elimination to get the lowest.

industrial strength solution rent an elevation level and rod (surveryors use them) Set a benchmarch and 2 stations, and shoot the benchmark and all visibile corners, then move to the 2nd station (where you can see the benchmark) and shoot the benchmark again and the remaining corners. do the math (adding up from benchmark at each station and then subtracting down for each corner elev.) Lowest # is your lowest corner.

OR, assuming they're all close, pick what you think is the lowest, and overhang your first run 3-4". It doesn't hurt to have siding hanging lower than a sill plate (or similar), and if after, your nice level siding job seems "off" with the ground, mulch or added landscaping can change that appearance. Good luck!!
dchaban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 05:36 PM   #4
tnb

Thanks for all the great tips. I don't think is is much out of level. But just in case I wanted to be sure to start at the lowest corner. Man I sure am glad I found this site and board you guys are Great. Thanks Alot!!!!
tnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 07:51 AM   #5
J Calvin Construction

I always use a transit and a tape measure(more accurate than a grade stick). Takes a little time but you can shoot everything level regardless of anything else.

You hired WHO?
jcalvin is offline   Reply With Quote