Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-20-2008, 09:32 AM   #1

Share |

Gluing small pcs of sheetrock?

I'm currently framing in a wall in my basement that is going to have around a dozen "cubbies" in it that I"m going to drywall in and finish with the rest of the room. You can see some of them in the following picture...

Do you think I could get away with using some sort of adhesive to hold the walls and floor/"ceilings" of the cubbies in? I'd do the top/bottom first then use the sides to support them. They're only 13.5" deep. I'm thinking that getting a screw-gun or a hammer inside some of the smaller ones is going to be an excercise in futility. I'm thinking corner-bead will help with the fronts too, but the backs won't have that support.
perpetual98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 10:16 AM   #2

I'd use a right angle drill and screw the drywall in. How are you going to tape the seams? I'd also be concerned with drywall on the bottom of the cubbie getting damaged or cracking from weight.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:41 AM   #3

I'd make them from white melamine board and insert them into the holes you've made. That way they're properly constructed and will be much more durable in the long run. You can treat the edges with white edge banding or putty and paint.

I think it is a bad idea to use sheetrock. It will not support itself if not secured to solid framing at each seam. No way for you to do that the way you've built the cubbies. You can't secure drywall to other peices of drywall at butt/perpindicular joints.

4x8x3/4" melamine coated particle board will run you just under $30.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 10:49 AM   #4

3/4" melamine is too thick. Can drywall mud stick to melamine?
perpetual98 is offline   Reply With Quote