Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-13-2010, 01:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

A glue that works on precast concrete wall

I tried attaching a bracket to a precast concrete wall using "No More Nails", not sure if this product is common outside of South Africa. Anyway, it came off. Seems like the concrete wall is too powdery, even though I cleaned it beforehand. Any other glue you can recommend that will stick to a concrete wall? I thought of using bonding liquid before trying to glue again, to make the wall less powdery. Any ideas? I need to attach a wooden fence that ends against the wall, but it does not line up with one of the concrete posts, else I could drill into that to attach the bracket. The panels of the precast wall are too thin to drill into, they would crack I think. Couldn't find an answer elsewhere on this forum.
Thanks
Onne

wildwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 07:20 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

I have used gorilla glue (polyerethane glue) with good luck.

oberkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 02:52 AM   #3

Thanks oberkc, I have heard of that but not sure if available in South Africa. Use a bonding liquid first, you think? Wall seems quite powdery, even after cleaning. That's what caused my first attempt to fail.
wildwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 03:47 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

Could be a defect in the concrete. If the wall seems rather powdery (even after cleaning) then you may either have concrete disintegrating, or effluence through the concrete, or the glue you used was chemically reacting with the concrete.

It seems to me that a puolyurethane glue is your best bet: gorilla glue, Sumo, PL premium, etc.

JH
Hohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 03:01 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwings View Post
I tried attaching a bracket to a precast concrete wall using "No More Nails", not sure if this product is common outside of South Africa. Anyway, it came off. Seems like the concrete wall is too powdery, even though I cleaned it beforehand. Any other glue you can recommend that will stick to a concrete wall? I thought of using bonding liquid before trying to glue again, to make the wall less powdery. Any ideas? I need to attach a wooden fence that ends against the wall, but it does not line up with one of the concrete posts, else I could drill into that to attach the bracket. The panels of the precast wall are too thin to drill into, they would crack I think. Couldn't find an answer elsewhere on this forum.
Thanks
Onne
You can try using silicone. I have seen it being effectively used to attach items such as signs to walls and it works perfectly.
Sharkfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 08:34 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

Move the post and attach it correctly.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
concrete, glue