Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-05-2009, 02:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Glass Blocks on top of Bathtub? weight?

i was thinking of doing this project but wanted to ask before attempting. i have a standard steel bathtub and wanted to build a glass wall on half of it 30" x 64" using standard glass blocks. my question is, will the edge of the bathtub be able to handle the weight of the blocks, mortar and reinforcement bars. is it at all possible to do this without ripping out the tub and makeing a walkin shower.

Let me know.

EuroZ24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 06:47 AM   #2
Glass

Rewards Points: 10

Hmm, very risky, depends on your bathtub really.
I wouldn't risk it just for the safety reasons and really, on your place I wouldn't rely on forums for answer with such a risky question

I remember ages ago on a different forum I asked if a standard glass splashback can be used for a kitchen worktop, and how heavy it will be and if two people can carry it, and everyone was like "yes yes, you'll be fine".
Needles to say, week after that I had 4 people carry the worktop. Some questions just can't be answered on forums

Krystian Glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 08:10 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

You would not build the glass block wall on the tub. If you want glass block, build it next to the tub. If you can't build it next to the tub for some reason, move on to another project.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 08:40 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

I agree with Ron you dont build it on the tub build it next to the tub.You can have it go right up to the edge of the tub without the weight setting on the tub itself.If you have the room you can make a surround for around the tub to blend in with the wall you want
clasact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 09:40 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

you can do this without setting on tub. Use an aluminum lintel bolted to wall that blocks can rest on. The lintel is a piece of angeled metal , you can talk to the glass block people for thickness and size for weight of wall requierments. You will need to add fasteners from block to wall studs as you go up to keep wall from moving out of vertical
tpolk is offline   Reply With Quote