Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-23-2009, 12:13 PM   #1

Share |

glass block window

I am going to install a glass block window on an exterior wall in a basement bathroom. I want it for natural light, and i was wondering what to do about the dimensions, which are not exact to the size of the blocks.
Should i build a frame to the size i need and then just proceed like you would with a standard window.(do i need that special channel for glass blocks?) Can i staet it on a standard wooden sill or are there special circumstances needed for glass blocks?
Any help or advice from someone experienced in this would be great..

Morjade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 06:32 PM   #2
Concrete & Masonry

glass block window

The best substrate to install glass block into is masonry, as in directly to your block, poured concrete or stone foundation. It's virtually zero maintenace, stronger, waterproof & you have more adjustability this way. Inside, you can fur wood right into it. Installing glass block over wood or the like will require caulk & alot more expensive materials, & they are all "temporary" compared to the life span of a good masonry install. I would suggest looking in the phone book for a local glass block company who can pre-fab the window for you. They have far more block availability to do custom sizes, & in my experience are cheaper than the big box stores. As a mason, I realize how tedious glass block work is & have them make all my window panels, as it saves me time & money.

jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote