Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-19-2010, 09:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Girder termite damage...HELP!

I recently purchased a foreclosure that was sold as-is it has termite damage on the main girder support in the basement and was wondering how to go about this as it hasn't compromised the structure YET, but i'm sure will eventually as it's pretty well chewed through. The termites are no longer active, but let me just say what was once hard wood is now corrugated.

One recommendation was to seek out a "structural engineer", but I have had little to no luck in finding one.

Any suggestion on doing this myself or seeking help? Perhaps a carpenter and woodworking guild?

I'll take whatever I can find.
Attached Thumbnails
Girder termite damage...HELP!-img_9438.jpg   Girder termite damage...HELP!-img_9442.jpg   Girder termite damage...HELP!-img_9447.jpg  

Last edited by bsting; 10-19-2010 at 11:30 PM. Reason: pictures
bsting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 10:27 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,078

By "this" do you mean replacement of the girder (I assume it is a wooden beam), or do you mean repair of the beam? Any discussion about options requires a full description of the size of the beam, the span, the supports, the load on the beam, access options, and framing above the beam. Photos would be very helpful, as would a scaled plan of the house.

You may not need a structural engineer, especially if you intend to replace the beam in kind, but you are almost certainly going to need a building permit, unless you live in rural KY where there are no inspectors. Beam replacement has been discussed in this forum on many occasions, you may want to do a search on "beam repair" or "beam replacement" and read through some of the threads, they should give you some ideas on what it takes to replace or repair a wooden beam.

By the way, did you have a professional termite inspector check out the house to make sure the bugs are no longer active? Sometimes they stop chewing for a while, only to come back later.

Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 10:38 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

I haven't PAID anyone to tell me what is evident, as there is direct access to the affected area and there are no termites active presently, that was all that I was saying.

I could post pictures tomorrow, but I was hoping to find someone who has had some experience in repairing wooden girders or even replacing them with metal. However is best to go about resolving the issue I would like to know more about so I could fix it ASAP since I'm living in this place as I repair it.
bsting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 04:12 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

It looks like 6 2x12's make up this "beam". Are they bolted together?
Have you checked the beam for damage? Do you know how much damage there is? Have you drilled ant exploratory holes?
Any decent framing contractor should be able to guide you.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 06:16 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

This is not a DIY job. You will need temporary support for joists on both sides of the beam. Beam removal and building up a new beam. But you need to find out how much needs replacing.

Tom Silva and the gang do it almost every week on This Old House, or so it seems.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
girder repair, structural engineer, termite damage