Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-05-2008, 11:51 AM   #1

Share |
Unhappy

Getting water out of the wall...

Hello all - I'm a recent first time home buyer - condo buyer actually.

Any suggestions on how to get water trapped behind a brick wall out?

Here's the back story:

A couple of months after moving in I started to get some efflorescence and moisture wicking in through a brick wall and SLOWLY dripping down onto a new hardwood floor.

It ends up the mortar in the gap between my brick wall and the abutting building's wall only went up for the first 10ft of a 4 story building, allowing for a 1/4-1/2" gap that could fill with water.

The gap has now been mortared, and the roof is well sealed, but there is still water coming through my wall.

So my feeling is that there is a 'reservoir' of water behind the wall that has to come out before the moisture leaking stops.

Any ideas?

-Chuck Smith
Brooklyn, NY
Attached Thumbnails
Getting water out of the wall...-mineral-deposits-s.jpg   Getting water out of the wall...-1_weeks_worth_water.jpg  

Last edited by cssmythe3; 03-05-2008 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Add pictures
cssmythe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 03:07 PM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Ayuh,... Drill a Hole in it, down low....

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 08:27 AM   #3
so-elitecrete

w/o your realization 'cause the waterways've been created outside,,, drilling drain holes'll alleviate the wtr but don't be surpris'd when more flows inside,,, exterior excavation & positive-side work's a more permanent solution imo.
so-elitecrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 02:55 PM   #4
Master General ReEngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by so-elitecrete View Post
w/o your realization 'cause the waterways've been created outside,,, drilling drain holes'll alleviate the wtr but don't be surpris'd when more flows inside,,, exterior excavation & positive-side work's a more permanent solution imo.

Quote:
The gap has now been mortared, and the roof is well sealed,
Ayuh,.... They said it's been Fixed on the outside....
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 04:07 PM   #5

you need some sort of expansion joint cover. it should have been allowed to drain and never had mortar in it to start. My guess is you have no through wall flashings, weeps etc. You need to call someone to investigate your problem. To provide any more help, you need to post a lot more pictures. From the outside, etc.
ncgrogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 05:14 AM   #6
so-elitecrete

has been nam'd a ' slot drain ' by many bldrs & waterproofers,,, its a space formed when the floor's pour'd on top of the footers,,, sealing it's caused the wtr level to rise on the exterior of the wall,,, w/o banging open the floor & installing a ' french drain ', there is a system that seals the floor/wall intersection call'd a ' cove system ',,, google it & see for yourself,,, but you'll still have to drill ' weeps ' to drain that wtr out of the wall.

so-elitecrete is offline   Reply With Quote