Getting Slab Poured Soon.. . Need Help With Roof - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-01-2008, 07:02 PM   #1
Fire Fighter-

Rewards Points: 75

Getting Slab poured soon.. . need help with roof

Alright, I am going to be adding a "game/ hot tub room on the back. I really want something like this http://www.houseplans.com/plans/e/121-129e-368.jpg but attached to the house. I was looking at Sun Rooms and I was wondering what kind of roof they use. I am not a real good contractor so I want something easy. If you have ever seen the "snap together sun rooms" they have some kind of plastic roof. Please let me know the easier most cost effective solutions. I am on a real low budget. I have attached a picture of where the slab is going to be poured. Thank you in advance!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Getting Slab poured soon.. . need help with roof-34.jpg  

Advertisement

Old 01-01-2008, 11:29 PM   #2

Look at "cost effective" in terms of equity value as well. A roof line that matches and blends in with the existing will do more than an enclosure unit. Some of the sunroom enclosures I've seen aren't low cost projects at all. If you're planning to do it yourself, I think the materials for a framed structure would be considerably less than the enclosure units. Gives you alot more options as well.

Advertisement

pavola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 09:04 AM   #3
Fire Fighter-

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavola View Post
Look at "cost effective" in terms of equity value as well. A roof line that matches and blends in with the existing will do more than an enclosure unit. Some of the sunroom enclosures I've seen aren't low cost projects at all. If you're planning to do it yourself, I think the materials for a framed structure would be considerably less than the enclosure units. Gives you alot more options as well.
I guess I just have never framed a roof or shingled before.. Which honestly it doesn't look that hard. alittle worried about water run off though... Don't want to start flooding my house. Any insight?
Old 01-02-2008, 01:12 PM   #4

Water run off? Do you have a problem now? I noticed there isn't any gutters and they, along with grading, can be installed to direct water away from the house.
If you haven't framed or shingled before, you probably want to rope in a couple of carpenters and a roofer to help - a hip roof isn't the easiest roof to frame if you haven't framed before.
I think you have to decide if you want this room to be considered square footage with the rest of the house or a sunroom which may or may not be considered square footage in your area. This will help determine what direction to go in. A low budget (nothing wrong with it) shouldn't necessitate cutting back on quality, but requires more careful planning to avoid those instances where lack of knowledge or experience can cost more sooner and later. Building in phases is done quite often, swapping labor, etc. to keep the initial dollar cost down. Just plan for it, which you are doing by posting ?'s - that's good. I'm just suggesting to take a step back and decide what you really want from this room and go from there.
Old 01-02-2008, 01:52 PM   #5
Fire Fighter-

Well I have done alot of carpentry work and my father has also. I am going to cut out the first double window and add frence door's there which will lead out to the "game / hot tub" room which I would like it to be consider Livable House Sqfoot, as you said for equity" Can I just put a flat shingle roof on this?
and no I do not have any problem with water right now.

Also I was told it is going to be REAL hard to cool this room due to the hot tub. What do I need to do about that? two window units wont do it? Also I am going to build in a fire place and I would like 2 sky lights.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:22 PM   #6
Fire Fighter-

The existing roof is going to be inside my room. How do I finish it out to make it look ok.... I don't care that its there I just want it to look alright.

Last edited by Klint; 01-02-2008 at 10:48 PM. Reason: meant Existing roof
Klint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 08:45 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 500

There's a logistical problem with your plan...
-You want a hot tub
-You want french doors and skylights
-You plan on 2 window shakers for cooling
-You have a "small budget" for the actual structure, which in reality needs a higher than average budget when it comes to the added structural requirements and the required moisture resistant finishes.

Home improvment isn't just about slapping stuff on.
LawnGuyLandSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 09:14 PM   #8
Fire Fighter-

when I say small budge I have around $5000 left after the slab. for the building it's self.. is that a small budget?
Old 01-02-2008, 09:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klint View Post
when I say small budge I have around $5000 left after the slab. for the building it's self.. is that a small budget?
I think that's going to be tight just for the rest of your building materials. Do you have the windows,skylights, doors, hot tub purchased already?

To tie in a flat or shed roof to your existing, you would have to meet at the existing fascia to look right. That will do one of two things - shorten the front wall to get at least a 3/12 for shingle roofs or go with another suitable roofing material for roofs which are nearly flat. IMO, the hip style roof in your original link will fit your house the best.

You can get your skylights vented,(hand crank, remote, or wall switch) which I'd recommend, to vent all that moisture off the ceiling. Trying to cool a small room like while the tub is on wouldn't be feasible - you'll always have to keep it vented while on so you don't ruin the rest of the building. Plan on ceiling fans etc. to keep the air moving and to help dry things out after use. Perhaps a humidistat linked to a roof vent or maybe even the skylights.

As far as the existing area, we don't know the current layout of your room. Maybe just a WIC and give more room for the game room?
Old 01-02-2008, 10:06 PM   #10
Fire Fighter-

Sorry, what is a WIC?
Old 01-02-2008, 10:20 PM   #11

WIC - Walk in closet.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:26 PM   #12
Fire Fighter-

here you go maybe this will help.
16 x 25 slab

\/ down is existing house
Attached Thumbnails
Getting Slab poured soon.. . need help with roof-192.jpg  

Last edited by Klint; 01-02-2008 at 10:29 PM.
Klint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 10:44 PM   #13

That's a decent layout.
Will this cover the existing and new slab?
What did you mean by the existing room was going to be in your room? Or is this an entirely different plan than you were thinking before?
Old 01-02-2008, 10:48 PM   #14
Fire Fighter-

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavola View Post
That's a decent layout.
Will this cover the existing and new slab?
What did you mean by the existing room was going to be in your room? Or is this an entirely different plan than you were thinking before?
sorry miss type..
Existing ROOF
Old 01-02-2008, 11:03 PM   #15

The existing roof can be hidden from view inside the new room by just having a flat ceiling. The overhang would be removed in the new room area. The new roof, if conventional type, would be built over the existing as what we call a lay-on roof. The shingles in that area should be removed so you can tie-in directly to the existing plywood/rafters.

Advertisement