Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-01-2011, 04:07 AM   #1

Share |

get around water in the basement problem

I want to make my unfinished basement useful without having to make it a finished basement. I have great ideas and tips for doing so, but the basement gets a little water leaking in (mainly because of rain and terrible gutters) and I'd imagine this is problem for this little project of mine. Sealing/waterproofing the basement and replacing the gutters isn't going to happen for another year or two, so in the meantime how could I get around the water problem and still have a usable basement.

Thanks in advance

P.S. - Yes, I'm on a budget

anuvanoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 06:21 AM   #2

Unless you have not been paying attention to the economy, MOST of us are on a much tighter budget. 90% of basement water problems can be eliminated or reduced by having gutters and downspouts that get water at least 6' away from the foundation, and grading that does the same thing. Gutters are usually easy to fix/clean, and adding a $10 extension to downspouts is inexpensive. If you can't do that, keep a mop handy.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:09 AM   #3
A Little Of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by anuvanoob View Post
I want to make my unfinished basement useful without having to make it a finished basement. I have great ideas and tips for doing so, but the basement gets a little water leaking in (mainly because of rain and terrible gutters) and I'd imagine this is problem for this little project of mine. Sealing/waterproofing the basement and replacing the gutters isn't going to happen for another year or two, so in the meantime how could I get around the water problem and still have a usable basement.

Thanks in advance

First of all, until you correct the problem at its source, you're always going to have the problem. Of course, you know that. So... In the meantime, everything you do is only "kind of" going to work.

That being said, I think you need to be a little more specific with us.

- Do you have standing water in your basement, or a little moisture once in awhile?
- Is the outside of your house properly landscaped, so that the level of the dirt drains away from the house?
- What are you wanting to do in your basement? If you just want to store some things, maybe you could set them up on pallets.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by anuvanoob View Post

Thanks in advance

This rationale makes no sense. You know the issues, but you can't fix them, but you want another solution to the problem, that obviously will cost no money.
They do not exist.
Gutters don't necessarily need replacing to fix the problem. They can be cleaned, sealed, repitched and reattached. All it takes is time, knowledge and a little expense.
Sealing and waterproofing the basement entails what to you?
Is the grading outside correct?
Do the leaders extend away from the house at least 3 feet?
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:10 PM   #5

Oh you guys, LOL! You're all correct in your responses, but I can't tackle the gutters and grading at this point. I just bought the house and the initial budget for the higher priority repairs is already spent. Sealing, waterproofing in addition to the suggested repairs will be done in the future when we level the house and finish the basement. In the meantime I still want to use the unfinished basement as my one man computer repair shop.

Would pressure treated lumber + big ol' piece of plywood be a good temporary solution? I'm okay with losing a couple inches of headroom down there

P.S. - I've been very hospitable to my contractors so far so that's where some of my free wood is coming from. Plus Craig's List has been a great resource for us too ($70 has furnished our whole kitchen with nice stainless steel appliances).
Old 12-03-2011, 07:47 AM   #6

wear spiked shoes here's the order of work - level house, waterproof the exterior & provide for proper sub-surface toe drain discharge OR mitigate the problem from the inside ( french drain ), finish bsmt.

if you only need something temporarily, regular 2x4's will work fine tho how you define ' temporary ' is relevant
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 12:26 AM   #7

Good, I'll go with 2x4's. Thanks everyone!