Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-20-2012, 03:36 AM   #1

Share |

General Permit question

I am in the process of getting estimates for my two car garage. I Have seen two people and have about 5 more to interview. I just want the contrator to rough in the garage so I can finish the insides. This is to one save money and two because I like doing remodel projects. I am just not experience enough to complete a roof connection and the concrete pad needed for the two car garage. The two that I have interviewed have said that I would need to get the permits because they are not finishing the inside. I did not think this was correct and checked online and it said normally the contractor gets the permits since they are building the project. Is this true or should I demand they get them?

Thanks

bemgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:46 AM   #2
DIY staff

General Permit question

You are the 'general contractor' --so you will need to pull the permit----

Essentially ,you are hiring others to work as 'subcontractors' to assist you in some parts of the work that the 'general contractor' (you) do not wish to do----

These guys are correct----they do not have control of the entire job so they are not the one to pull the permit.

Old 11-20-2012, 06:08 AM   #3
DIY staff

General Permit question

Read up on lien wavers---these are like legal receipt from your subs that show that the supplies and labor have been paid buy the subcontractors---

Laws vary by state and Provence---cover you butt---make sure that your subs have paid their suppliers---
Old 11-20-2012, 08:41 AM   #4

General Permit question

Not an ansewer to your question but very important anyway.
Make sure whoever builds this plans on having the slab A min. of 6" up off the grade.
Better yet have them build it with a stem wall foundation. (google it)
Reason being that sheathing and siding has to be at least 6" above grade or it's going to rot.
Take a look at the grade around the area around the area where it's going to be built and mainly the driveway.
Make sure waters not going to be running toward the building.
If you look on this site and any other DIY site you will see where dozens of people pored the slab to low and now have to deal with rotten siding, rotted bottom plates and water inside the garage.
With a stem wall the whole inside of the garage could be hosed out with a garden hose, if snow and ice get draged in or drops off the car it's not going to do any damage to the walls.

Also make 100% sure they use a pressure treated bottom plate.
Termites in your area? Make sure the area gets a pretreatment by an exterminator before the building goes up, far cheaper to do that then after it's built.
Plan on using the over head area for storage? If so then order storage trusses or, use wider bottom cords on your stick built rafters.
Plan on sheetrocking and insulating? Make sure they add nailers in the corners and in the ceiling on the gable ends.
Make sure the roof has an overhang on all sides with vented soffits, and a ridge vent on the roof.
If there's going to be a passage door make sure the slab they pore is a min. of 4" below the threshold or waters going to get in. Also make sure it's a 36" door!
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
bemgolf (11-20-2012)
Old 11-20-2012, 08:41 PM   #5

General Permit question

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
You are the 'general contractor' --so you will need to pull the permit----

Essentially ,you are hiring others to work as 'subcontractors' to assist you in some parts of the work that the 'general contractor' (you) do not wish to do----

These guys are correct----they do not have control of the entire job so they are not the one to pull the permit.

I am hiring a hiring a contractor to do the work. These permits are for the work being done which is only the framed two car garage connected to the house, and concrete pad and driveway that is being poured. I have searched everywhere and it says that the one doign the build is in charge and should pull the permit since they are responsible with getting them passed. I thought they may being doing this to save them time and if they are like that like Holmes on holmes says find a better one.
bemgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:21 AM   #6
DIY staff

General Permit question

They are not completing the entire project---simply doing one phase of it----How can they get a permit?How can they be held responsible for failure to pass final inspection if they aren't doing all the work?

This is the problem involved with Do It Yourself contracting----a permit for a major project covers all phases from plans to finished product----------several different inspections are required--

Excavating---forms--concrete---framing---roofing----electrical--plumbing--siding/windows--insulation---drywall----trim --landscaping to mention a few---

If these guys are not in control of every phase then a general contractor must be on the permit---and he will be required to make sure all inspections pass.

Mike Holms may have left that part out----
Old 11-21-2012, 09:50 AM   #7
JOATMON

General Permit question

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Not an ansewer to your question but very important anyway.
Make sure whoever builds this plans on having the slab A min. of 6" up off the grade.
Better yet have them build it with a stem wall foundation. (google it)
Reason being that sheathing and siding has to be at least 6" above grade or it's going to rot.
Take a look at the grade around the area around the area where it's going to be built and mainly the driveway.
Make sure waters not going to be running toward the building.
If you look on this site and any other DIY site you will see where dozens of people pored the slab to low and now have to deal with rotten siding, rotted bottom plates and water inside the garage.
With a stem wall the whole inside of the garage could be hosed out with a garden hose, if snow and ice get draged in or drops off the car it's not going to do any damage to the walls.

Also make 100% sure they use a pressure treated bottom plate.
Termites in your area? Make sure the area gets a pretreatment by an exterminator before the building goes up, far cheaper to do that then after it's built.
Plan on using the over head area for storage? If so then order storage trusses or, use wider bottom cords on your stick built rafters.
Plan on sheetrocking and insulating? Make sure they add nailers in the corners and in the ceiling on the gable ends.
Make sure the roof has an overhang on all sides with vented soffits, and a ridge vent on the roof.
If there's going to be a passage door make sure the slab they pore is a min. of 4" below the threshold or waters going to get in. Also make sure it's a 36" door!
Ditto.....

bemgolf....click on the Garage Build link in my signature and you will see the garage I built....It's pretty much done the way Joe talked about above....8" stem walls....etc.....once you read through the thread you will understand why it's so important to get the walls up....

I love having those stem walls...in fact, all of my cabinets set 8" off the ground....all attached to the walls....I can wash down the floor and not get water on anything.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:11 AM   #8

General Permit question

If the permit were JUST for the framing and pad, you would likely be right that whoever you hire should get the permit. A permit is NOT just for framing and concrete work though. You're basically asking them to get a permit covering electrical and other work that they will not be doing. You're the general contractor here, not them. They are a subcontractor because they are only doing a part of the overall work which is being permitted.
hoops902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:30 PM   #9
DIY staff

General Permit question

Your homeowner permit will have a place for the name and license of the subs you use---
Old 11-21-2012, 09:01 PM   #10

General Permit question

Bem,
before you get into a pissing contest with whomever you hire to build your garage shell, go talk to your local building department. They all vary to some extent. Around here, I can pull a permit as the general contractor to buld the garage with no electric or finishing of the inside. Some cities by me will not let homeowners pull mechanical permits without taking a test for each. So go do your homework first and see what your local wants. We have no way of knowing that here.
Mike Hawkins

firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote