Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-07-2013, 06:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Gazebo Beams and Joists and Posts

Hi! I am trying to figure out the best way to mount beams to the posts and the joists to the beams... And what pattern to use for the 8 sided gazebo.

Gazebo floor will be about 26 inches above the ground.

I am using 8 - 6X6 cedar for the posts. Posts on top of concrete/sonotubes using simpson strongtie post mounts. An additional post will be in the center.

All posts are angled toward the center.

Possible Options:

1. Posts will go all the way to the roofing from the concrete.
But then how are beams mounted with good support? And without notching. If I did notch, what would that look like!?!

2. Posts go from concrete to beams. Beams on posts. More posts on top of beams or attached to joists for the roofing supports. Is that as stable?

3. In conjunction with #2, recess posts a little then have beams on the outer edge (hiding posts a little).

4. Joists and beams at the same height (joists mounted with hangars between beams.

This wouldn't be so difficult if I didn't want the traditional gazebo flooring pattern instead of all flooring going vertical or horizontal.

Thought of bolting an additional 6X6 to the posts to rest the beams on. With some additional wood framing to prevent lateral and upward forces.

Thought of making the beams all the same direction then joists mounted in a star pattern to support the octagonal oriented flooring.

Should I have one main beam across the entire gazebo, then attach the other smaller beams crossing in the center (if that makes sense). OR have one HUGE center concrete area and have multiple posts terminating at that junction?!

Size is approximately 14 feet across.

Just need a fresh set of eyes on this.

Thanks!

WC

power_tree is offline   Reply With Quote