DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Gate post ledger boards

4K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Klawman 
#1 ·
I want to repair a wooden gate and that is not a problem, which is the boards fastened to the return of a cinder block wall on the hinge side with the catch fastened to a block pillar on the other. Actually, the attachments are made to a vertical ledger board tied into the cinder blocks by means of heavy bolts.

I want to replace the ledger boards, which are nothing more than 2x4s with what appears to be 3/8" holes drilled through the 2" (not the actual dimension) take the ledger bolts. My question is what should I use to bore out circular cavities large enough to accept the washers and nuts used to fasten the ledger boards to the pillar and return? Do they sell spade bitss that are large enough? The original boards are counter sunk with 1-3/4" diameter cavitites. Thanks.

Also, the nuts holding the old boards are on pretty tight. (They take a 3/4" socket.) Should I be concerned that in order to break them loose the bolts may come loose from where they are embedded in the masonry. (I can't actually see the masonry as it is coated with stucco." If so, do I need to use something like an impact gun or the type struck with a hammer, instead of going to the 1/2" breaker bar.

Thanks.

See less See more
#4 ·
After posting I found the Forstner bits on line. For a one time job they tend to be a bit pricey, but I also found a 1-1/2 spade bit for $3 that should do fine.

As for getting the nuts safely off, I hadn't thought of a nut splitter and thing that a good idea. To gain access to it, I will have to chip/cut out the remaining wood around it but I am tossing that out anyway. Now that I am thinking of that, I will do it first as that may give me access to some exposed threads buried in the wood that I can clamp onto and saturated with wd40. If that doesn't do it I will get the nut splitters.

Thanks. It is a matter of replacing $4 worth of wood but if I didn't approach it right and broke the studs loose it could be a nightmare.

Thanks.

#5 · (Edited)
That won't do as the gate is up against the mid point of one of the ledgers where it was permitted over time to bow so that it pulls away from the masonry pillar. The quick fix would be to take some material off with a planer, but I would rather replace the boards as they are beginning to split down their vertical mid-line.

Damn. I almost bought that hand held Bosch power planer when it was on sale cheap at HD after Xmas but couldn't quite talk myself into it at the time as I didn't have an immediate need. Maybe this is an opportunity to get one, as well as the sawzall I have wanted for some time.

I think part of the problem is that the pillar moves ever so slightly with changes in ground moisture. Now it is relatively dry but the interface between gate and ledger becomes even tighter when it rains. If I replace the latch side ledger board, I will run it through the saw and trim a good 1/8" off of it, as well as true it up. I also wish to replace the hinge side board so that the hinges have fresh wood to screw into. If I wasn't lazy I would build a new gate.

I have attached a couple of pictures.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.