Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-25-2010, 02:30 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Gas for stove in concrete slab

We're building a slab-on-grade home, and planning on having a gas stove in the kitchen island.

What's the usual method for running gas supply lines through a concrete slab?

houseinthewoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 02:43 PM   #2

Unhappy

Never mind...

Looks like this is a no-no. Natural gas piping can be put inside an outdoor-vented plastic sleve, but that's not allowed for LP gas, which is what we'll be burning.

Found this in a code document:

GAS PIPING INSTALLED UNDER A CONCRETE SLAB:
A GAS PIPE MAY BE INSTALLED IN THE GROUND UNDER A BULDING AS FOLLOWS:
Installations permitted by this regulation shall be allowed only where structural conditions preclude the installation of gas piping above the floor level.
The gas piping material shall be A53 steel (coated) and shall be encased in a rigid plastic sleeve, which is a minimum of one-half (1/2) inch larger than the outside diameter of the required gas pipe.
The plastic sleeve shall rise a minimum of (6) six inches above the finished floor of the building interior, and a minimum of (12) inches above finished grade of the exterior.
The sleeve shall be sealed on each end by the use of gas-tight couplings. The exterior location end of the sleeve shall be provided with a minimum (1) one inch vent opening, which terminates looking downward at least (12) twelve inches above the finished grade.
The sleeve shall be secured to the structure it serves. The inspection shall include an air pressure test at which time the piping shall withstand a pressure of not less than ten (10) pounds per square inch gauge pressure.
The piping may be tested at a pressure of at least six (6) inches of mercury, measured with a manometer or slope gauge. There shall be no perceptible drop in pressure during the fifteen-minute test period.
There shall be no horizontal branches installed below the floor, and not more than one penetration of the interior floor shall be permitted. The termination of the conduit and encased pipe within a building shall be accessible.
This alternate installation method is not approved for L.P. gas.

houseinthewoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 05:32 PM   #3
DIY staff

Fine bit of research there!!!! --If you want something done RIGHT ,do it yourself.HaHa
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:41 AM   #4

Hi, I know this is an older post, but I have been looking around for solutions to the same question, with similar results...namely: "YOU CAN NOT EVER EVER EVER run Lp under a slab"
My local inspector said it was ok as long as I sleeved it and vented etc etc. all the regular things.

The argument against it is if there is a leak, the Lp is denser than air and will not vent out completely...it will fill the sleeve and vent out the overflow, but the gas will still fill the sleeve.

Now, What if you could run the sleeve and vent to a place well below the foundation level?
My nearly complete house is built on a small knoll and I could easily run the sleeve to a lower spot. This would eliminate any chance of Lp build up....maybe?
Or am I full of it once again?

Thanks.
morpho is offline   Reply With Quote