DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Gas Fireplace Insert - what is required as the "surround" ?

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  cody21 
#1 ·
We bought a house with an OLD fireplace - it is and old style Brick fireplace that has a large surrond which includes a SPIT ... which we will NEVER use .. (do people actually cook in these things?)

Anyway, we are thinking that we could basically tear out the existing Bricks (about 6'w x 7'h). The opening for the fire area is about 4'w x 3'h. Then reframe it for a specific Insert, run the exhaust tubes up the Flue, and repaint. We would NOT remove the bricks/cemenbt inside the fireplace of course.

Can anyone point us to the proper path to do something like this? and specifically, for a Gas Insert (sealed with exhaust lines), is there some Code requirement for what the surround it sits in must be made of? e.g., could we reframe the 'hole' with just Plywood or MUST it be cement or existing Brick?

Any direction of what we need to be aware of or the procedure(s) to do this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

#2 ·
I feel your pain....we are installing a 2-sided fireplace in our bedroom...

Based on what I am reading....you will just have to go by the manufactures instructions. All of them are pretty clear on how far combustionable surfaces have to be from the fireplace.

So...start searching for the insert you want...then download the install instructions....in all the cases I have seen, the requirements are pretty clear and detailed.

#3 ·
We installed a wood burning insert into our wood burning fireplace. I started with the measurements of the firebox and did a lot of research online to see what would fit (along with reviews).

Then as ddawg said, once you decide, the manufacturer will have instructions and clearances etc.

#4 ·
Thanks ... I guess what I was more looking for information on is just what the requirement is for the Surround that the Insert fits into ... e.g, can it be Plywood or MUST it be Cement blocks, brick, etc.. I'm talking about the INTERNAL where the Insert fits into ... not the front area outside ... which already is non-combustable in our case since the fireplace already exists.

#7 ·
Wood is fine.....all of them have to meet NFPA requirements for contact with combustionable materials. Your high heats are actually outside the fireplace where the heat is radiating away.

Like on the one I plan to use....the instructions have a diagram showing how far the mantal can protrude based on the height above the fireplace....

Just pick out the insert you want...then download the PDF instructions...it's pretty clear.

In fact, on your computer, you should have PDF files of ALL the appliances in your house....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.