Garden Shed On Existing Concrete Pad - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-24-2011, 08:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

garden shed on existing concrete pad

I am purchasing a home that has an existing concrete pad in the back yard that is 14 feet wide and 24 feet long. It looks like the pad was used as a dog kennel because there were metal pipes embedded in the concrete along the perimeter that have been cut off flush with the concrete. I want to build a 10' x 12' garden shed on this pad. I am allowed to build it without a permit if its 120 square feet or smaller. I was going to secure the walls directly to the pad with treated base plates bolt to the concrete. After inspecting it closer I am concern with areas around the pad that are higher in elevation that could cause water issues. I am now thinking about building a cinder block foundation on top of the concrete. I would use mortar and concrete to fill the blocks solid and secure a J bolt to attach the base plate of the wall. I feel that using cinder blocks will help prevent water from entering the building and raise the wood from harms way. Is there any reason to be concerned about the edges of concrete that will stick past the building since the pad is larger than the structure i am building.? Should I use a concrete saw and cut away the excess concrete and back fill with soil? I could leave some of the concrete for a pad in front of the building. I don't know how thick the pad is. Also it looks like it is not perfectly level. I would attempt to level the cinder block by varying the amount of mortar under the blocks. Any general thoughts to my proposals?

Advertisement

Last edited by hartkem; 10-24-2011 at 08:13 PM.
hartkem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 01:04 PM   #2

Maybe some pictures would help. As you can see the rear of the pad has some grading problems with the ground around it.

http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/8990/img0084yl.jpg
http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/7759/img0086py.jpg

Advertisement

Old 10-26-2011, 08:27 PM   #3

I could use some opinions on cutting this pad down to the building size or not. If there is any additional information needed let me know. Thanks again.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:36 PM   #4
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,190

The pad looks like it was designed for light loads, a dog kennel sounds about right. If you are not putting anything heavy in the shed, the pad is probably OK. I see what you mean about the grading, there is no reason you can't use concrete block to raise the building about 8 inches, my shed is done that way and it has been there for 50 years.

Filling the holes in the block with concrete is a good idea, but is probably not necessary except for the blocks you are planning to use to anchor the J bolts. I would use a pressure treated lumber sill beam on top of the block. The rest of the shed bets built with standard lumber. Just think carefully about how you want to support the floor, are you going to use joists, or block in the middle? My shed is done with concrete block around the outside, joists spanning the block, and the floor directly over the joists. Pretty crude, but it works.
Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:48 AM   #5

Daniel,

Thanks for the info. I wasn't planning on building a floor out of wood. I was just going to use the pad its self for a concrete floor.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:02 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

You don't mention the sheds orientation on the slab. If it was going along the 14' side, I'd span the slab unless you had use for the 2' on the end.
This way You only had one side with standing water.
I'd install a drainage pipe on the high grade side to minimize the water against the block.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
You don't mention the sheds orientation on the slab. If it was going along the 14' side, I'd span the slab unless you had use for the 2' on the end.
This way You only had one side with standing water.
I'd install a drainage pipe on the high grade side to minimize the water against the block.
I was facing north when I took the pictures. I want the length of the shed to go north and south. I am planning on a 8' garage door facing south and maybe a standard door facing east towards the back. If i set the garage to the rearward most end of the slab which would be the north end I could have a nice piece of concrete in front of the large 8' door.

Advertisement