Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-07-2012, 12:26 PM   #1

Share |

Garden Shed with Drywall

I am planning on placing a shed next to our house. It will sit about 5 feet away from a side of the house with no windows and the grade is pretty flat, so it is a great location for us. However, when I checked with the village they require any building that is within 10 feet of your house or 5 feet of the property line to have drywall. Techinically, the drywall needs only cover the portion that is within 10 feet. This includes the interior roof.

I think this is beyond silly to require drywall but I wanted to hear if others have heard of this.

Cmeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:32 PM   #2

Garden Shed with Drywall

Sounds crazy to me, but what do I know. I would kindly ask the office that informed you of the requirement for its justification.

cortell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:37 PM   #3

Garden Shed with Drywall

They state it's a fire department requirment. I asked if it needs to be fire rated material they said no... it's just crazy. Considering the previous owners have a plastic shed in the same location (which isn't allowed) I think I might just build it on my own and let them come after me and worst case scenario, I have to add some drywall later..
Cmeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:43 PM   #4

Garden Shed with Drywall

Jeesh. Why don't they just go further and require it to have a sprinkler system. Sounds ridiculous to me.
cortell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:01 PM   #5

Garden Shed with Drywall

are you getting a permit? if not just build it and see what happens.. I am sure there has to be an exception for sheds or something, that just doesn't make since..
cbzdel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:55 PM   #6

Garden Shed with Drywall

If they do catch you there going to at least charge you a double permit fee and still make you add the sheetrock, and that's if there not upset.
If they are they can make you move it at least or tare it down plus a fine.

A whole lot cheaper to just install the sheetrock.

If you ever need another permit for something else, good luck if you have crossed the line.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:54 PM   #7
Just a DIY guy

Garden Shed with Drywall

I'm guessing the reason for it is to make the structure more resistant to fires that start inside the shed. Any drywall is more fire resistant than wood framing, even if it is not fire rated. So maybe that gives you more time to notice the smoke from the shed and put it out before it catches your house on fire.

Anyway, good luck.
M3 Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:08 AM   #8
Retired Cabinetmaker

Garden Shed with Drywall

I sometimes wonder who dreams up these regulations.

When I put an 3000 sq ft addition on my commercial building, I had to upgrade it to ADA standards. One bathroom and one entrance had to be wheelchair accessible............OK....I could understand that.
Then the inspector said I had to have a "Handicapped Crossing" sign in the parking lot because of a blind spot............so I went to a dealer, bought one and planted it at the blind spot corner.
I was flagged on the final inspection because I didn't have bathroom signs in Braille.

Calling the inspector I said........"This is a cabinet machine shop and these are employee bathrooms.....why would I need signs in Braille?"

Inspector ........."The codes are here for the safety of all........
[ he took a deep breath] ...........If you tell me you have put them up I will mark you up as passed.

Me..................."Up and looking good"

Inspector..........." Have a nice day"

I guess I shoulda read between the lines of the code

Mike
Old 05-08-2012, 01:45 PM   #9
Just a DIY guy

Garden Shed with Drywall

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody4249 View Post
I sometimes wonder who dreams up these regulations.

When I put an 3000 sq ft addition on my commercial building, I had to upgrade it to ADA standards. One bathroom and one entrance had to be wheelchair accessible............OK....I could understand that.
Then the inspector said I had to have a "Handicapped Crossing" sign in the parking lot because of a blind spot............so I went to a dealer, bought one and planted it at the blind spot corner.
I was flagged on the final inspection because I didn't have bathroom signs in Braille.

Calling the inspector I said........"This is a cabinet machine shop and these are employee bathrooms.....why would I need signs in Braille?"

Inspector ........."The codes are here for the safety of all........
[ he took a deep breath] ...........If you tell me you have put them up I will mark you up as passed.

Me..................."Up and looking good"

Inspector..........." Have a nice day"

I guess I shoulda read between the lines of the code

Mike
I like the braille signs on the DRIVE UP ATMs.

Sounds like your inspector was as frustrated as you are about some of the ADA requirements. There are lawyers who have made it a full time business to sue companies for ADA violations.
M3 Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:39 PM   #10

Garden Shed with Drywall

hillarious really. Just put caster wheels under your shed and its a "mobile" unit.... problem solved.

illnastyimpreza is offline   Reply With Quote