Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-10-2010, 11:29 AM   #1

Share |

garage walls

I'm constructing a garage that will have 14 ft walls. The lumber I'm using is 2 X 6 and in eight foot lengths. To construct the walls with 8' lumber, how can I join the two pieces to create the 14 foot walls to maximize the greatest strength?

Millsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 12:09 PM   #2

garage walls

Why would you not use 14' studs? If it is going to have a typical 8' ceiling with a 6' storage area above it, then you could build 8' walls, stand them up, construct your deck, and build the additional 6' off of that, but if it is going to be a 14' ceiling, I would go all the way up. In fact, that is exactly what I did; 2x6x14' walls on a 32' x 40' building, and if I remember right, I think that 5 of us stood them up.

DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 12:33 PM   #3

garage walls

Check with your LOCAL B.D. on using 14' 2x6 studs. Per Code, they can only go 10' up, unsupported laterally or without posts included in the wall.

Be safe, Gary
Old 08-10-2010, 01:06 PM   #4

garage walls

So, just curious then Gary, what constitutes lateral support on something like this? Attached to another structure? Cut in 1 by bracing? I built mine 20 years ago, with a permit, inspections, etc., no questions asked, but have not had occassion to work on any stick walls that tall since.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 03:47 PM   #5

garage walls

I have to build it with fourteen walls to accommodate a 12 X 12 ft garage door. I have an abundance of 2 X 6, however, they're not fourteen ft in length.
I was thinking of bracing two pieces together to give me the length that I need, but I'm not confident that it will given me the strength I need. I'm seeking out options that I can utilize the lumber that I have. Any other suggestions?
Millsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:17 PM   #6

garage walls

Millsy,
Save your shorter 2 x 6's for collar ties and the like. Build your building right the first time. Get the right lumber. In the long run, the little you save will come back to haunt you many times over.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:10 PM   #7

garage walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterII View Post
So, just curious then Gary, what constitutes lateral support on something like this? Attached to another structure? Cut in 1 by bracing? I built mine 20 years ago, with a permit, inspections, etc., no questions asked, but have not had occassion to work on any stick walls that tall since.
The wall being so tall flexes back and forth, not laterally- end to end. The tie offs are required per local Inspector, mine requires a brace perpendicular every 8' lineal feet of wall.

Ask him/her if you can create a built-up post from your 8'-2x6, staggering the laps from the center one with 3 pieces. These posts might be placed 6-8' on center as studs, depending on the Inspector.

Be safe, Gary