DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Garage wall construction question

6K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  USP45 
#1 ·
Hello,

I just found this site by googling the question I have about building a garage wall. I am expanding and enclosing my carport into a garage. I have poured the footing and stemwall and now want to start putting up the walls. So far it has been quite an adventure trying to figure out the code for the foundation, and I see that it isn't going to get easier for the walls. The code and various books don't seem to cover how to build a wall on top of a stemwall(and sill plate). They just show how to place cripple walls, floor joists, flooring, and then the wall on top of that.
So my question is, do I place studs directly on the sill plate, or do I build up some type of spacer to get above the anchor bolts? And if I attach directly to the sill, do I build the frame(including the sill) and then raise it in place all at once like a conventional wall, or build in place? Thanks for your time.

#5 ·
Yes, but AtlanticWBConst.'s post has stated there are some other things to take into consideration. The best thing is to do as AtlanticWBConst. had suggested. If you can not or do not want to do that, then speak with the local building inspector. You would be amazed at how willing they (Most) are to sit and talk with someone, even a licensed contractor. Makes their work much easier.

#4 ·
You should have J-bolts installed into your concrete frost walls.

On these you should install: Sill Foam.
On that, you should install a Pressure treated mud sill plate. This is bolted onto your foundation's frost walls (onto the J-bolts).

On that, you install your KD wall plate. As stated, this is part of the wall that is pre-built and then stood up to create the whole wall area.
Walls may be framed and stood up, or framed and ply-wooded and then stood up. The bottom KD wall-plate should be installed onto the PT mud-sill plate using galvanized or stainless steel nails.
Do you have wall straighteners? Do you know what size headers you are supposed to be using? Do you know how to overlap the wall's top plates?

Please recognise that I am just touching on the basics. It sound like you really need to hire or make friends with some pros to help you, otherwise, whatever you build may not pass inspection. And that will cost you alot of time and money to have to tear it all down and start over....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.