Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-21-2013, 02:11 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Garage space to mudroom

Hi all. New member here. Hoping i am posting in correct forum. Im buying a new home soon. At the front of the two car garage is an extra space roughly 15 x 8. On the back side of that is the kitchen / breakfast room. Im wanting to wall in the space and make it a mudroom / deep freeze space. The plan is to create a wall to separate from the garage and have a utility door on that wall. I then want to separate the space into 4x8 (for freezer and kit litter box) and 11x8 (mudroom). The two will be connected by a door with a pet gate. I will then put a doorway in the wall from the kitchen / breakfast area into the 11x8 space. Should the entry into the kitchen be open or have a door? Any advice on the project? Im a dyi kind of guy, but new to building walls / installing doors....

Thanks in advnce!

Snackattacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:35 AM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,786

Garage space to mudroom

A sketch of the job will get you the best answers-----

things to remember-----
attached garages need to be drywalled with 5/8" fire stop drywall---

a room jutting into a garage (part of the house) needs to be elevated from the garage floor and protected by a 'gas curb' ---(this helps keep fumes and spilled gasoline from getting under the structure)

A fire rated door is required---

If these requirements are met, the room is part of the house and no door is needed between the room and the rest of the house.

Old 04-21-2013, 12:05 PM   #3

Garage space to mudroom

Here is a sketch of the project. Basically the 2 rooms above the garage are what im building out. The floor is already raised above the garage floor, so i think im good there. Do i need a moisture barrier behind the garage facing drywall?
Attached Thumbnails
Garage space to mudroom-image.jpg  
Old 04-21-2013, 12:22 PM   #4
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,464

Garage space to mudroom

Your priorities are wrong....you should be making the garage bigger......it's never big enough.......

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:25 PM   #5
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,464

Garage space to mudroom

Ok....now that I have the 'garage' instinct out of me....I would not close all that in.....maybe do the one small area....but I would leave the rest of it open....your going to get real tired of going through 2 doors every time you want to get from the kitchen to the garage.....

Just to confirm...when you say mud room....you mean a shower?

And on the freezer....are you wanting to make a walk in?

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:12 PM   #6

Garage space to mudroom

The mudroom in Texas is basically a coat room for dog bed, jacket and shoes. No shower. The freezer room is just space to store a 32 x 46 plug in deep freeze where my wife keeps froozen goods. We can keep literbox for cat in there as well since there is no utility room downstairs (cats blind so cant navigate entire house very well).

We have an existing garage entry on the left wall that enters to a hall that runs down from kitchen.

I do like the idea of making the kitchen opening wider and maybe arched though with no closing door vs having an "airlock effect".
Old 04-21-2013, 04:16 PM   #7
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,786

Garage space to mudroom

Nice sketch----No door to the kitchen----just make the mudroom look as nice or nicer than the kitchen,using a good looking floor and quality trims---
Old 04-21-2013, 04:21 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 662

Garage space to mudroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Nice sketch----No door to the kitchen----just make the mudroom look as nice or nicer than the kitchen,using a good looking floor and quality trims---
+1. Doing it this way will certainly make everything more usable as well as making it look like it was there originally.

Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Msradell For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (04-22-2013)

Tags
doorway transitions, garage, mudroom