Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-04-2008, 12:46 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Garage size.. need opinions!

Hi everyone,

I am planning a garage build this spring, but am stuck on the size I am going to require.

My lot is only 25ft wide, and local code says I have to stay 2 feet from the property line.. leaving me with a whooping 21' maximum.

The second problem is i am going to have to buy a garage package, limiting me to packages that always seem to go to even numbers.. breaking me down to only 20feet wide.

Is this going to work as a two car garage? Our cars are fairly small (Now). I am thinking I might be able to get a larger door to help compensate.. but still don't know how this is going to work out.

I would value the opinion of anyone who'll give it!

thirstbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 07:53 AM   #2
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

Sounds like the best you can hope for is a 20 foot garage with a 16 foot door. That will work for two cars, just don't plan on trading them in for a pair of large SUVs

Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 08:24 AM   #3

I figured SUVs would be out of the question too. I was going to buy a hummer last year.. luckily I went with a smaller rally car.

I do also need to fit a motorcycle in there are well.. so I think I am going to have to go 26 - 28' long to fit the bike and a workspace.

Wish I had a larger space to work with!
Old 04-04-2008, 09:25 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Get rid of one of your cars, then you'll have plenty of room for the motorcycle and the workspace without the garage having to be so ridiculously deep.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:00 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirstbuster View Post
Hi everyone,

I am planning a garage build this spring, but am stuck on the size I am going to require.

My lot is only 25ft wide, and local code says I have to stay 2 feet from the property line.. leaving me with a whooping 21' maximum.

The second problem is i am going to have to buy a garage package, limiting me to packages that always seem to go to even numbers.. breaking me down to only 20feet wide.

Is this going to work as a two car garage? Our cars are fairly small (Now). I am thinking I might be able to get a larger door to help compensate.. but still don't know how this is going to work out.

I would value the opinion of anyone who'll give it!

I'm suprised local code doesn't also limit the % of lot you can cover with structures.
LawnGuyLandSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 02:06 PM   #6

That would be a nice option... the wife probably isn't going to walk to work though. And the motorcycle is only good for 6 months a year up here.

Unless your a sadist.. then you can squeeze another month on each side.

If I had the room I'd consider a team of husky's and a sled..
Old 04-04-2008, 03:35 PM   #7
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

You need to re-check your measurments to be sure. The setback is from the furthest point out of the buildig, which in most cases is the eave. (or even the gutter if installing one)

if you have a 1 foot eavr overhang and need a 2 foot setback, the largest you could build would be 19 feet wide. There are some structures without any eave overhang but personally, I would use an eave overhang.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 04:55 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,106

Quote:
i am going to have to buy a garage package

Why????????? If your concern is the roof you can stick frame or order trusses any length you need.

I hate 16' doors but that's probably the best choice here. It'll be ok if you have small cars. Go as deep as you want for workspace.

If the 2' setback includes the overhang of the eaves then go with an eaveless design.
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 06:22 PM   #9

I am going to have to double check, but according to people I've talked to, they say I should be able to do 20' with a 1' overhang.

Any smaller than a 20' wide garage would pretty much eliminate the whole project for me... I live in a high-crime city, so I need to fit all my vehicles in there for security as much as anything else.

Anyone have creative ideas for storage etc. in the ceiling of a finished (insulated) garage? I am thinking of lumber etc. Would really love a loft, but I think that's out of my price range.
Old 04-05-2008, 06:49 AM   #10
nap
You talking to me?

Quote:
I am going to have to double check, but according to people I've talked to, they say I should be able to do 20' with a 1' overhang.

Any smaller than a 20' wide garage would pretty much eliminate the whole project for me... I live in a high-crime city, so I need to fit all my vehicles in there for security as much as anything else.

Anyone have creative ideas for storage etc. in the ceiling of a finished (insulated) garage? I am thinking of lumber etc. Would really love a loft, but I think that's out of my price range.
who are "the people"?

If they aren't the building inspector/issuer of permits/head poobah of the building department/ grreat gazoo of the zoning department, their opinions don't count.

I can't tell you what your locality requires but I can tell you that if I had a 25' wide lot where I am at and had a 2' setback, a building with 1 foot overhangs could only be 19' wide including the eavestrough, if used. The 2' setback is absolute and means there is absolutely nothing within 2 feet of the property line.

No trying to be argumentative, merely trying to impress the point of checking with the proper authorities before you get too far into the planning.

as far as storage; attic storage trusses are a possibility. Here is an example. They must be built with a floor load designed in.

Be careful of heighth restrictions in your area. You may also look into a car lift or such if you can build a tall enough structure.
Something like this would allow you to stack vehicles IF you have enough headroom.
Old 04-05-2008, 07:46 AM   #11
I have gas!

Rewards Points: 1,014

You could try to get a variance to encroach on the property line.
Old 04-05-2008, 02:38 PM   #12

Yes, the "they" is people at a lumber supply store, so I will definitely have to check with the proper professionals. The biggest problem is that every time I contact the City, depending who I talk to I get different answers - and they won't give me anything official in writing.

The store that I was dealing with for the "package" (it isn't prebuilt, but they get all the lumber together and basically give me free delivery and the engineering plans for my permit).

An encroachment is an interesting idea. If I could put a 24x24 garage I would be happy as could be. There are a few in my neighbourhood that size, and the lots are all the same width.. but no one I've talked to actually built their own - it was an existing structure with the property.

It seems to me that the standard height for the garage was something like 13'9" (??) but there are ways to build higher. I have been seeing some very tall garages poping up in my area. Stacking cars, although it is an interesting option, would probably be very expensive and a real pain since they are both daily drivers.

I also need to get more information on garage security packages to tie in with the monitored house alarm.. any suggestions?
Old 04-05-2008, 04:39 PM   #13
nap
You talking to me?

for daily drivers, yes, not the answer.

expensive? Not neccessarily. My godfather built a 3 down 3 up stacker for $400.

So, how long is the lot? Not that it is overly attractive, a longer garage where you could park the cars staggered would help alleviate the narrow situation and having to open doors when parked. You would not even need to park them completely past each other. The front of one and the trunk of the other could overlap but that would still allow door opening.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:03 AM   #14

The lot is 25x125'. I need to have a min. 5' offset from the alley, but I am going to go 6 for good measure, and that should also leave me enough room to park a car on the approach behind the alley.

I think long is how I am going to have to go. It should be that strange looking since the garage is going to be taking up the entire lot.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:54 AM   #15
Man of many hats

Rewards Points: 272

Just a curious question. Do they sell these lots specifically for garages? Sounds like an odd size lot for anything else but a 'Nawlins shotgun' style house.