Garage Side Supports - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-20-2007, 09:49 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Garage side supports

I have a three car garage built onto my house, half of it had been made into a room, we had it removed and found out later they had taken the wall side supports down, we could not make them fix it because they said they did not do it. we could not prove it because we had them paint the walls inside the garage. and that hid the work that had been done. can that be fix without taking the roof off the garage? and would they need a work permit? thanks, Joyce

Advertisement

Last edited by Joycegl; 07-21-2007 at 09:55 AM.
Joycegl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 04:42 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Garage side supports

What side supports are you referring to? Can you post a picture? Are these the side wall of the garage?
Ron

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 07:59 PM   #3

Garage side supports

Yes, the sides of the garage walls, and it has a raised roof that goes into a peek. the back of the wall is attached to the house. can this be fixed by just nailing a beam across the corners like it use to have. their use to be supports for the sides of the walls in all four corners . nailed across the corners to support the walls,he said in case of earthquacks, sorry, i guess they are called wall supports,thank you for replying to my post,

Last edited by Joycegl; 07-20-2007 at 08:21 PM. Reason: had to had something
Old 07-20-2007, 10:55 PM   #4

Garage side supports

If the sides of the garage wall are missing, what's holding up the structure?
Ron
Old 07-21-2007, 09:45 AM   #5

Garage side supports

Its not the sides of the wall that is missing, it's the side support stud that cross over in med air in the corners that support the wall. I wish I knew how to explain it. Joyce
Old 07-21-2007, 04:46 PM   #6

Garage side supports

That sounds like the ceiling joists. There should be 2x6's or 2x8's running from one side of the garage to the other, perpendicular to the ridge beam. these hold the two walls together. These can rest on the top plates of the walls or they can be higher up to increase the height of the ceiling. There should be one attached to the roof rafters at least every other joist.
If they're missing, reinstall them.
Ron
Old 07-21-2007, 04:59 PM   #7
Extreme DIY'r Adk's, NY

Rewards Points: 250

Garage side supports

Joycegl is talking about what is a form of a rafter tie.... of the wood type not the strap/brace type. They go from the ceiling joists down at a 45 and tie in to the wall studs. These CAN be part of the roof design or they can be added in by people for extra joist support or to help keep a wall from moving.

Were these on every ceiling joist or like every other or so?

If there was much pressure on them or they were really tied in well I doubt they would have removed them. If your walls are straight, ceiling is flat and roof is straight I personally wouldnt worry too much and just keep an eye on it.... but if you're nervous have a local framer look at it... he'll need access to see the roof system inside.

Advertisement

crecore is offline   Reply With Quote