Garage Settling - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-26-2007, 05:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Garage settling

OK I built my house 12 years ago. Then 2 years later I went to build my garage and the inspector told me it was on fill and I could not build there. So I went out and got a compaction check done ( $500). They did their thing and gave me the OK. Now over the last 10 years the right front corner has settled about 2 inches. I have a gap between the slab and the floor that is about 2 inches wide also. The garage is about 10 feet away from a hillside that drops pretty fast for around 20 feet. What if anything can I do. If it moves no more I am fine with that. But it seems to be dropping about a quarter inch a year ( in the spring when we get our snow melt and what little rain we get).

Advertisement

warnerww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 08:30 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Garage settling

Well naturally hills erode. Maybe you could try putting a retaining wall on your hill.

Advertisement

jiggyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 10:43 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Garage settling

This calls for someone with experience in foundations. Sounds like you need it jacked up and some piers installed under the corner.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 06:52 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

Garage settling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
This calls for someone with experience in foundations. Sounds like you need it jacked up and some piers installed under the corner.
Ron
Yep. I was just hacked about the compaction check thing. I have been doing the wait and see if it gets worse thing for 10 years now and it does not appear to be stopping. I need to check and see if my home insurance will cover it ( who knows I have been amazed at what they have paid for in the past).
warnerww is offline   Reply With Quote