Garage Roof Suggestions - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-02-2009, 07:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Garage Roof Suggestions

I am redoing the garage to make it a clean and workable work space. I have already removed old dirty cabinets that were installed around 40 years ago and also board that covered up a majority of the roof portion -- when once removed showed every indication that the upper portion of the garage roof was home to rats. I'm so glad I'm doing all of this cleaning up and out. Although, I discovered all of these boards that I have no clue which one is mandatory to keep and which ones can or could be removed. Some of the boards are not stable so I'm thinking they are not necessary for the stability of the garage.

I want to add installation and then dry wall the remainder of the garage ceiling.

The garage is detached from the house.

Suggestions anyone? This is a FIRST for me and even though I have a contractor coming on Monday to evaluate I'd like to be able to have a basic level of comprehension of what I'm embarking upon so that I will know if the contractor 'knows' what he is talking about.

Advertisement

NeedSuggestions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 12:00 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Garage Roof Suggestions

Can you post some pictures? That would be a big help.

Advertisement

vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 12:55 PM   #3

Garage Roof Suggestions

Here's the pic. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

My hopes is to insulate and drywall the ceiling and leave the beams alone for now??????
Attached Thumbnails
Garage Roof Suggestions-roof-garage1.jpg  
Old 10-03-2009, 01:51 PM   #4
BIGRED

Rewards Points: 250

Garage Roof Suggestions

All the boards above your walls at the time of this picture should be left in place. Your beams are also called wall spreaders; without them and with the right amount of snow load your roof would collapse. Evidently the garage was originally built without plywood sheeting at the corners of the walls or wind bracing in the walls, because the diagonally run 2 x 4s that are meeting in the middle of the ceiling are used for racking or twisting the structure so that the building remains square. Just add enough extra 2 x 4 spreaders so that you have 16" centers for the ceiling and add a 2 x 4 vertical component down the middle of the room from the ridge to each ceiling joist to maintain a level ceiling, add lights, a couple of drop cord outlets in the room center, an overhead heater, lots of insulation, plywood or drywall for the ceiling, some paint and you're in business.
Grampa Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 01:53 PM   #5

Garage Roof Suggestions

Grandpa Bud -- YOU ROCK!!!!

Thank you sooo much for your help/suggestions!
Old 10-03-2009, 02:25 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,032

Garage Roof Suggestions

The contractor may also suggest to add a 2x4 rafter tie (spreaders) at each rafter (even replacing the existing ones 4' on center) so they are 2' o.c. for 5/8" drywall. Which would be easier and stronger. Also he may suggest drilling and screening vent holes (2-1/2"x3 each) in every/other rafter bay and adding two gable vents or continuous ridge vent as you are closing off the air movement to the new attic. With a heater, the hot air will rise with the moisture and rot out your attic and possibly cause ice dams above and frost inside the attic. He may also suggest removing the long 1x4 braces and adding shorter ones diagonally across each corner. Also foam board over the exterior walls near the rafters and insulation baffles to keep the air channel open. When re-roofing, add ice and water shield at the overhangs on the rake to combat ice dams because of the detached, occasional use. I suggest hiring an electrician for the wiring of overhead fixtures and portable heater receptacles.
Be safe, Gary
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 02:29 PM   #7

Garage Roof Suggestions

What a great DIY community. Thank you GBR for your additional suggestions to my garage renovations!!! I really appreciate it.

This is a brand new endeavor for me and these suggestions will be so helpful Monday when the contractor arrives!
Old 10-03-2009, 02:51 PM   #8

Garage Roof Suggestions

Lastly, I live in southern california so snow falls, etc., are not a problem here nor is a heating system for the winters but an 'A/C' system for the summers is a must.

For budget reasons, prior to next summer, I will install an A/C window unit.

For now, I'm curious if anyone knows what type of 'budget' I should be prepared for based on the above replies posts from Grandpa Bud and GBR's suggestions?
Old 10-03-2009, 03:21 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,032

Garage Roof Suggestions

We pretty much stick to the theme of the site, not prices as they vary so much per locale.

With AC, think about radiant barrier for under the rafters: http://www.ornl.gov/sci/roofs+walls/radiant/index.html
Be safe, Gary
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 03:27 PM   #10

Garage Roof Suggestions

Ooops! I didn't know about the 'pricing' thing. Makes total sense.

Thank you for sharing. I've only been a member for less than 24 hours so I'm learning.

Thanks for the heads up!
Old 10-03-2009, 07:46 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,000

Garage Roof Suggestions

Definitely make sure you have all the electric you want in place before you drywall
Also check to see if the rats chewed on any wires up top
Are the walls insulated?
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 08:15 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,000

Garage Roof Suggestions

Do give careful attention and thought to the electrical needs - A/C, tools, etc. Lots of information on the elecrical area of this forum regarding workshops and detached garages. Remember to use the search function.

I am also in SoCal, and installed a combination A/C and heat unit in my shop. One of those packaged units like hotels have under the window in each room. It's a heat pump, so is easy on the electric bill and provides plenty heat for SoCal cold days. It was as easy to install as a A/C only unit. And lots of insulation in the attic while you have it open to keep the sun at bay on those hot days.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 09:15 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 25

Garage Roof Suggestions

Hi Gary,

I am doing soomething similar, putting insulation in roof rafters of a finished attic. I am going to put in baffles for the air channel, but should the paper(vapor barrier) on the insulation face toward the inside of the house or toward the roof. My gut says toward the interior of the house, assuming it should go toward the warm room. However, this being a roof which gets very hot, would it face the roof. I live in Northern NJ so the heat is on more than the AC.
Densec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 09:29 PM   #14

Garage Roof Suggestions

To all who replied:

A HUGE thank you!!! It's refreshing to find a place on the web where adults share their wisdom and experience.

I WILL pay it forward with an area in my life where I have experience.

You guys have given me sooo much great advice. I feel prepared on Monday to ask the contractor the appropriate questions!

And, as to the 'rat' damage of the wires. Ouch... that's something I hadn't considered.

I'm making a list to review all of these helpful suggestions on Monday.

Happy Saturday night to all!!!

Advertisement