Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-01-2013, 05:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Garage Rebuild Questions

The house I am buying had a detached garage at one point and time in its life that was torn down for some reason. Well being an avid car enthusiast, a garage is a major necessity for me. The concrete slab is still there and I am thinking of trying to have new concrete poured on over it and extending it back and out a little more. Current pad is approx 14x18 give or take. Wanting to extend it out around 20x24. Is it possible to just set up a form, pour over existing slab, and continue pour for extra footage? I live in Oklahoma and our climate is very diverse. Would be on unlevel ground but I figure a little bit of gravel or sand packed down would help that out. I have one tree that I would have to remove but that would not be hard. Just trying to figure out my options and help is very appreciated.

new2thecrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:29 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 56

Garage Rebuild Questions

I would not pour directly over the existing slab. The new slab will almost for sure crack along the edges of the old slab and any crack that are in the old slab.
If the old slab can broken up small enough then it can be used as base for the new slab.
Another option if the old slab is still in good shape is to just extend it and use rebar pins in the edge to tie the old and new together.

Old 05-02-2013, 02:44 PM   #3

Garage Rebuild Questions

I'd pour footings for the walls instead of building directly on the slab.
Pianolady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:52 PM   #4
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 48

Garage Rebuild Questions

New....click on the Garage build link in my signature.....

Mine is 20x25.....2-story.....and not big enough....

Do some searching on the subject of foundations.....a majority of the responses will echo those above.....

You 'can' pour on top of your existing...but you want about 3-4" of pad....so your not really saving anything except not having to dispose of the old.

You really do want a stem wall to get your walls up and away from the ground....lets you wash out the garage without soaking the walls.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:42 PM   #5
www.inspectorzo.com

Send a message via Skype™ to InspectorZo
Talking

Garage Rebuild Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2thecrew View Post
The house I am buying had a detached garage at one point and time in its life that was torn down for some reason. Well being an avid car enthusiast, a garage is a major necessity for me. The concrete slab is still there and I am thinking of trying to have new concrete poured on over it and extending it back and out a little more. Current pad is approx 14x18 give or take. Wanting to extend it out around 20x24. Is it possible to just set up a form, pour over existing slab, and continue pour for extra footage? I live in Oklahoma and our climate is very diverse. Would be on unlevel ground but I figure a little bit of gravel or sand packed down would help that out. I have one tree that I would have to remove but that would not be hard. Just trying to figure out my options and help is very appreciated.

Good points made by everyone. A few more to consider:
1. Check your zoning setback with your building department. They may have changed. You may be required to maintain clearance or an easement greater than what was once allowed. Also, a 2 car garage may require a wider driveway. Some cities/counties require a driveway to be wide enough to exit head first out of your property. Meaning, a turnaround radius. Good info to find out before you spend (real) money.
2. The garage slab is nothing more than a surface cleaner than dirt. It serves no structural purpose. Most garage slabs are not even poured monolithically with the footings primarily for that reason. Speaking of footings... The perimeter bearing edges of your garage will require footings to carry the load of the walls, distributed roof load and any other supporting elements such as soffits, lofts, ceilings, drywall, etc.
3. The curb suggestion is not only a good idea for cleaning/washing the inside of the garage, it is a code requirement to be elevated above adjacent exterior surfaces.
4. From an engineering standpoint, the front wall of your garage has no structural intengrity becuase most of that wall is a big opening for a hinged, sliding, or roll up door. Consider some reinforcement on either side of the opening in your framed walls, bigger/deeper footings to "flagpole" your door trimmer, etc. I guess I'm suggesting you consult with an architect or a structural engineer if you're not sure your plan covers these concerns.

Please post some progress and completion photos when you have time. I'd love to see how it's moving along.
Good Luck!
InspectorZo is offline   Reply With Quote