Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-17-2013, 03:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Garage post to straighten

I've moved into this house dating back to the 70's and I have this garage post in the middle of a 2 car garage that is definitely not centered on the beam.

Doesn't even look like it's bolted into the beam. Either it was never aligned properly or someone bumped against it(real hard). I've tried a few wacks with a hammer against the side of the top plate thinking that it would move a little but get no movement at all.
I'd like to straighten it out, thinking that I can just jack up the beam a little on both sides, align the post in place, and be done and over with.

But before I go through the trouble I'd like to find out what that rod on the side of the post is for. I've tried to find something similar in Depot but nothing matches. Does that rod serve a purpose ?
I've attached a picture, the rod is on the right side.
Attached Thumbnails
Garage post to straighten-img_0164.jpg  

Last edited by oh'mike; 02-17-2013 at 07:18 PM. Reason: spaces
rnack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:43 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,152

No clue what that tube is doing there.
Have you taken a look over head to see if there's something to lag that post to?

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:02 PM   #3
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,136

That's a short section of 1/2" diameter rod that the manufacturer just tack-welds to the column, and you can break it off to adjust the screw jack on the bottom. It has no bearing on the post itself, and can be removed w/o issue...............
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jomama45 For This Useful Post:
rnack (02-17-2013)
Old 02-17-2013, 04:49 PM   #4
AHH, SPANS!!!

Rewards Points: 1,032

it looks like you are getting full bearing, it is just not aligned straight. it has been there for how many years? maybe screw a couple of lags up through the holes on the left side where there is more beam above it to attach to. there could be a break on the beam there at the post so you would have to certainly jack both sides if you do decide to...
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:11 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 3,090

You won't need to jack both sides. A slight pressure on either side will take the weight off and allow the plate to be moved.
rnack (02-17-2013)
Old 02-17-2013, 07:27 PM   #6

It's been like that for 30 years, never touched, just by looking at the other side the way the sheet rock,taping, and spackle look. Just a very sloppy job. I took a level on the poll and it definately is not plumb. Once repositioned directly over the beam the way it should be it would definately be plumb. The pole is cemented in the ground. Will just have to recement the bottom because once I straigten it the cement will crack and screw in 2 lag bolts to secure it. Why the cement has a mound on the bottom, don't know either, but we'll find out after I move it.
Attached Thumbnails
Garage post to straighten-img_0168.jpg   Garage post to straighten-img_0169.jpg   Garage post to straighten-img_0165.jpg  
Old 02-17-2013, 09:17 PM   #7
AHH, SPANS!!!

Rewards Points: 1,032

I would not touch that post without a strong temp setup either side of the post to hold up whatever weight you have above the post. is it two story?
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:31 PM   #8

Thumbs up

Attached garage, no 2nd floor. I figure if I setup a jack just to give it a little lift, just to take pressure off the beam, work quick and center it, I should be able to straighten it out right away. Only have to move it over 1/2-3/4" and the pole is 8 ft high. I just wanted to make sure that the rod on the side of the post wasn't something that is embedded into the beam that jomama45 already clarified it wasn't.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:50 AM   #9
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,136

That mound of concrete is certainly odd and non-conventional, but it looks like the bottom screw jack is set on the floor, rather than encased in the floor like normal. I would imagine that the mound of concrete is to protect the anchorments from backing out as well as locking the treads of the screw jack in place............
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:30 PM   #10

I tend to agree with you on that. Many short cuts taken when this was installed. We'll see what happens and I'll follow up here as soon as it gets warmer and I can start cutting the wood to raise the beam. Once the cement breaks apart we'll see what's underneath and I'll post.
Thanks everyone for all your help.