Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-05-2009, 10:35 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

garage mudroom wall composition

Hello, our garage is longer (not wider) than we need and we don't have a mud room. I'm building a 10' x 6' mudroom in the back corner. It's not really an exterior wall but I'd like to insulate it like crazy since the garage is the outside temp and I'd like to be able to leave the door to the mudroom open. Can anyone recommend a specific wall construction? Currently I'm thinking 2x4 with batts in the cavities, rigid foam board, housewrap, then drywall. Would that work? If that's not crazy, how would I attach the drywall through the foam board to the studs?

jutah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 10:42 AM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Sheetrock should always be installed directly against framing/or some other hard surface (not over foam). If you are planning on insulating the wall, then you should install the insulation in the framing cavities.

AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 11:23 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thank you for the response. Would this work for a wall then (from inside mudroom to garage): drywall, plastic vapor barrier, 2x6 wall with insulation in cavities, house wrap, garage side drywall. Is tyvek or other housewraps not considered to create a double vapor barrier?
jutah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 06:33 PM   #4
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jutah View Post
....Would this work for a wall then (from inside mudroom to garage): drywall, plastic vapor barrier, 2x6 wall with insulation in cavities, house wrap, garage side drywall.
There is no need for housewrap, because the interior garage wall will be protected from outside weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jutah View Post
Is tyvek or other housewraps not considered to create a double vapor barrier?
AS mentioned, there is no need for the house wrap. This material is primarily a sub-layer of protection from exterior weather elements. Since the inside of your garage won't be experiencing heavy rains, snow, wind, etc.....there is no need for it's use there.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote