Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-15-2005, 08:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Garage Moisture

Hello all,

I have a newly constructed 24x24 attached garage with R-11 in the walls and ceiling. Both the walls and ceiling are covered with 1/4" luan. The ceiling is 10'. My garage doors only have approx 1/2" insulation in them. The heat source is a vented Dornback 45,000 hanging furnace.

My garage doors sweat and I get some sweating from the outlets in the ceiling. I started to add more insulation to the doors, I can go up to an inch. The doors have single pane windows.

Will this help with the doors? If I go into the attic and cover the back side of the outlets, will it help with them? I only put insulation between the trusses and didnt cross them.

I also have noticed a few small wet spots (less than an inch) in several locations in the ceiling. Any help will be appreciated!

RonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 12:24 AM   #2
renovations

Rewards Points: 250

Garage Moisture

Information: Where are you? Is the roof ventilated? How? Soffitts vented? Vapour barrier in walls and ceiling? Are you doing something in the garage that creates a lot of moisture?

Bonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 07:24 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Garage Moisture

I am in Pennsylvania. The roof and soffit are vented. I think if I add more insulation to the ceiling and doors, it will take care of the problem - hopefully!
RonG is offline   Reply With Quote