Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-27-2012, 02:05 PM   #1

Share |

Garage into a master bedroom?

Hey everyone. I am currently in New Jersey and I have a 1100 sq ft ranch home. 3 bedroom 1 bath. Decent size kitchen to have a small 6 chair table to eat. No dining room tho. I was thinking of converting my garage to a master bedroom with a possible bath and walk in closet!! Sounds nice huh? I'm excited thinking about it.

This is for a couple reasons. 1st is for my wife and I to have a very nice room with the extra bath and walk in closet. Second, I would want to knock a kitchen wall down that goes to my sons room and make that a dining room. Enough room to make an island now too in the kitchen. My daughter moving to our old bedroom and my son moving to a bigger room (my old daughters).

I know you have to consider a lot of things like plumbing for the bath and electrical, HVAC and all. But I would want to do most myself and save. My driveway obviously would stay but I was thinking of keeping the door as making a wall in the inside. So first it looks like a garage on the outside and if new owners in the future want the garage back they can convert it back and also it would be cheaper instead of getting siding, window etc! What are your thoughts on building a wall on the inside?

Doing all this will make the 3 bedrooms bigger. Adding a master bed with the bath and walk in closet. Adding a dinning room with very nice size kitchen. But I would have no garage. Any ideas? Thoughts?

fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 02:21 PM   #2

By the way. The only thing would be is that the entrance to the "garage/room" would have to be done. Right now the garage to house door leads to my basement. I would have to make a door and the only way would be leading into my livingroom. Thinking solid door plus sound proofing for that one wall.

Old 08-27-2012, 02:42 PM   #3

are you on septic or town/city sewer?

I'd recommend a call to the building official to discuss your conversion so that you can find out any potential issues before you start. Also to find out what you'd be allowed to do as far as the work, and what drawings you'd need to submit for the permit.

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 03:07 PM   #4

Town city sewer
Old 08-27-2012, 04:18 PM   #5

just wanted to verify, some septic codes require upgrade of septic systems for addition of bedroom. on town sewer should not be an issue ....

Old 08-27-2012, 04:29 PM   #6

Some things you will have to deal with is, most garage floors are sloped toward the overhead doors.
Water coming in under the wall where the door was because of it hitting the old aprin.
The hardest part, and take the longest will be trying to install drains.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 04:46 PM   #7

are you looking to frame a wood floor over the concrete slab so that your flooring is at the same level as the existing dwelling? if so you'll need to verify you have enough wall height. Typically building code requires a minimum of 7'-0" from finish floor to finish ceiling.

Old 08-27-2012, 06:31 PM   #8

Brackins, just from searching I saw that some people do uplift the floor by framing to make it level with the floor at the home. That was an idea. Height is no issue since we have enough clearance past 7 feet if I did raise it. I just wondered if the losing the garage, adding a door to bedroom in livingroom was a bad idea compared to what we will be adding.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:53 PM   #9

The opinions you ask for are subjective.
I've seen garages turned into extra living space numerous times. With both excellent and poor results.

A luxurious master suite is a much better idea than an extra bd or family rm. If the only entrance to the space is through the living rm, then so be it.
You need some outdoor storage though, an extra large shed in lieu of a garage may be helpful.
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to creeper For This Useful Post:
AndyGump (08-27-2012)
Old 08-27-2012, 08:35 PM   #10

I question your idea of leaving the garage door in place. If you were doing a quick mancave conversion I'd go along with it, but if you are gonna build a proper master suite it won't be a conversion that can easily be reverted back to a garage anyway, so I think I would go all in at that point and do something about the door as well and make it a permanent conversion. This is assuming you can make the conversion look nice on the exterior, but it's hard to say without knowing what your house looks like.

If you're worried about impact on resale, you might want to talk to a local realtor to find out how it would impact your value. It would depend a lot on what type of neighborhood you're in and what buyers in that segment expects.

LVDIY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LVDIY For This Useful Post:
GBrackins (08-27-2012)