Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-21-2008, 08:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Garage Insulation

I was wondering if I am not heating my garage, is there a draw back to putting insulation in before I finish the walls and ceiling? Aside from cost of course

PaddyKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 09:11 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Garage Insulation

I don't know the answer to your question, but I think it's fair to say others here are going to ask whether or not your garage is attached to your house. So I'd update your post with that information.

Deck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 09:56 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Garage Insulation

If you're not heating or cooling your garage, assuming it is detatched, I can't think of any drawback to insulating it, but I can't think of a reason to do it either.

If it is attached to the house, I'd definately suggest insulating it.

One benefit of adding fiberglass or cellulose insulation is its firestopping qualities in concealed wall spaces.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 11:54 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Garage Insulation

I insulated mine strictly based on extra sound absorption.

I'm sure my neighbors thank me for the times that I'm working in the garage.........and for when I'm cussing at whatever it is that I'm working on!

I'm sure it has other benefits for me as well, being an attached garage, and all.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:00 AM   #5
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

Garage Insulation

Just my $0.02. I insulated a storage shed, just to minimize some of the solar gain. I already had a lot of scraps of insulation though, so it wasn't a financial issue. The shed stays cooler in the summer.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 08:11 AM   #6
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Garage Insulation

It's minimal cost to insulate the walls. It can add use to the area (craft-hobby room/car repairs, etc) .... especially if the home is re-sold.
To me, it's a "no brainer": If you are going to sheetrock the walls, you might as well insulate them before, to increase the "usefullness" of the garage space.

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 05-22-2008 at 10:00 AM. Reason: spelling
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 08:56 AM   #7

Garage Insulation

Thanks folks. I intend to insulate it and could not think of a reason not to do so. From reading other threads is seems that luan plywood is a better choice than drywall. I was suprised at that.

Kev
PaddyKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 09:00 AM   #8

Garage Insulation

Few years back, I bought a new townhouse. Partition of the garage had walls surrounded the interior space on the other side and they were already insulated. The rest were to the exterior. When I stepped into the garage during summer months, it was hot and during winter, it was cold. I insulted the exterior walls and even added foam to non-insulted garage door. I noticed the different in temperature during the summer and winter months. So you will have benefit for adding insulation in the garage.
Eagle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 06:53 AM   #9
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

Garage Insulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddyKevin View Post
Thanks folks. I intend to insulate it and could not think of a reason not to do so. From reading other threads is seems that luan plywood is a better choice than drywall. I was suprised at that.

Kev
Peg board works well.

Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote