Garage: Increase Wall Height - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-14-2011, 08:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Garage: Increase Wall Height

I have an existing 30x24 garage with 2 9ft doors on the eve side(30ft) of the garage. Door Height is currently 7ft. I would like to convert to a single 18 ft door thats 8ft tall. Currently at this point there not even enough room to put the header in for even an 18x7 ft door. Additionally the shingles are shot and the middle of garage has trusses spaced at 48" so there is a bit of sagging.

My thought was to ripp of the current roof and re-truss and re-roof.

My question is can i add a foot to the top of the garage wall or do the existing walls need to be replace with taller ones?

Advertisement

c5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 09:53 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,002

C5,
It sounds like the building isn't in that good of shape to start with. If you are going to tear off the whole roof anyway, I would just go ahead and build the new walls. You are going to have to tear apart the front wall for the new door and header anyway. The problem with putting a short wall on top is you are creating a hinge effect. One other thing to keep in mind, and 18' wide overhead door cost almost twice as much as a 16' wide door. Do you really need the extra 2'? Also make sure you have at least 14" between the top of your rough door opening to the bottom of the trusses. That way you can get a 12" radius door track in and have room for an opener without using any special low headroom hardware.
Mike Hawkins

Advertisement

firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:44 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,032

Welcome to the forum!

Years ago, I talked to a framer that built the roof rafters too low on the house, they craned the whole roof up, set it on the ground, added 4x12 beams continuous on perimeter walls with all-thread hold-downs every 4', set roof back on, strapped it down with Inspectors approval. Talk to your Building Department first....

Gary
Old 03-16-2011, 01:27 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

I was thinking that adding height to the wall would be an issue, but figured i'd check. I have discovered the 16 vs 18 ft price difference so will probably back off on that.

Thanks for the input.
c5er is offline   Reply With Quote