DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

garage heating

3K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  timberframer 
#1 ·
I am soon to build a gerage and I am soo confused over the best way to heat the space. There are so many choices!! I have concidered using infloor but the cost of instalation and the running cost concernes me. Has anyone out there done this in canada and would you recomend it?

#2 ·
I use an electric 220v construction heater mounted to the ceiling which keeps the temp at about 55 degrees F (12 degrees C) and a small wood stove to burn scraps with.

Hydro cost for the shop is around $50 per month including the electric heat.

#4 ·
I run a beacon morris garage heater I got at menards. I think it is 75,000 BTU and heats my 3 car garage well. I keep it at 50 all winter long and then when I change oil or do work in the garage I crank it to about 70 degrees and it has not problem keeping up. It costs me about $30 per month in Northeast Iowa

#5 ·
Gerage heating

Thanks for your responces.:thumbsup:
I have not yet built the gerage but it will have 6" walls and fully insulated and the floor is going to be a thick edge slab on grade so the outside of it wont be insulated. I guess there arn't too many folks with the infloor heating yet.

#6 ·
Thanks for your responces.:thumbsup:
I have not yet built the gerage but it will have 6" walls and fully insulated and the floor is going to be a thick edge slab on grade so the outside of it wont be insulated. I guess there arn't too many folks with the infloor heating yet.
When you plan the slab, insulate under the concrete.
Ron

#7 ·
We built a huge (40x60) garage for a customer last year. A third of it is finished off and has heated floors. VERY NICE! I know he wishes he had us do more of the building. Well worth it. Systems can be run with many different heating sources. Rigid insulation under the slab is a must.

#9 ·
Thanks again for the replies. I will be insulating but I am planning to install a hoist and was wondering if I should leave that area not insulated due to the weight. Does any one have any opinions?
I don't understand what you mean. Structurally, you build the garage to handle any loads you expect. If you need to build something additional for a hoist, how would that be an issue with either insulation or drywall?
Ron

#10 ·
Radiant works good if you need a constant temp. If you only use the garage to work in once in a while use a space heater as the radiant takes to long to come from say 50 to 60 degrees.

If you are constantly in the garage and opening and closing the garage door then do radiant as the recovery time whill be shorter and you feet will be warm.

Putting insulation under your hoist depends on the point load at the bearing point. I have put insulation under lifts that had a large footprint but did not put the radiant tubing in this area. You can get different ratings on underslab insulation that will not compress.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.