Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-21-2008, 02:50 PM   #1

Share |

Garage Framing Question

Hello,
I am converting my garage into a living room, and have a question about framing.

I have 11 foot ceilings, soon to be 10 foot once I add the floor. 7' is 2x4, and the bottom 3' is concrete block.

Of course, the block sticks out further than the 2x4. I need advice on how best to even this wall out. I want to add a 1x3 or 2x3 frame from floor to ceiling, and then drywall.

I've been told that 4" of insuation (R13) is enough, so I do not intend to bring out the 2x4 any further.

This new frame will be flush against my block, but there will be a 7"+ gap between the frame and the 2x4's.

Two questions:
(1) Will a 1x3 frame be strong enough to support 10' of drywall? Or do I need a 2x3?

(2) What do I do with the 7"+ gap between the frame and the existing 2x4's? Do I leave it alone, pack with more insulation ???

Thanks,

Chris
wrldruler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 03:24 PM   #2

Garage Framing Question

1. I'd go with a floor to ceiling 2x4 wall. No sigificant cost difference and no question of strength. You want the 3.5" space for insulation anyway.
2. Leave it empty or have you considered setting the upper wall back to the current studs and building in bookshelves and flat screen TV niche so that the outer face of the shelves is even with the lower wall. Then you only need new wall framing for the bottom couple feet in front of the block.

Oh BTW, don't forget to insulate the perimeter under the subfloor. Otherwise you'll have a cold floor.

Last edited by jogr; 08-21-2008 at 05:07 PM.
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 05:01 PM   #3
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Garage Framing Question

Where does the 7"come into the picture? is the existing foundation 12" thick? WE have in the past installed 1x2 furring over the foundation then cut and installed ridged foam insulation between the furring then installed vapor barrier then drywall. cap the top with 1x and continue up from there. This was done to gain as much room As possible. I hope I understood your question and have given you another option. BOB
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 07:01 PM   #4

Garage Framing Question

Bob,
You have the picture right.

The foundation is 8" thick. Current wall is 4" thick. So there's a 4" ledge now. If I put 2x3 floor to cieling, that would bring it out 3" more. So total of 7".

You are correct. I could furr out the foundation, cap it out, then continue up the existing. That would leave maybe a 4" ledge, but would maximize space.

Any idea of what interesting thing I can do with a 4" ledge? Jogr mentioned a bookshelf or TV niche, but this ledge will exist all the way around 3 sides of the garage.

Thanks
wrldruler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 08:23 AM   #5
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Garage Framing Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrldruler View Post
...Any idea of what interesting thing I can do with a 4" ledge? Jogr mentioned a bookshelf or TV niche, but this ledge will exist all the way around 3 sides of the garage.

Thanks

Generally, the best method for utilizing and incorporating the frost-wall ledge is to install a wood shelf along the top of it. You could install it where the literal top of the concrete wall is, or frame the it higher, so suite your taste.

Examples:

AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 08:26 AM   #6
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Garage Framing Question

Also, be aware that there is a pitch in your garage floor that should be adjusted prior to any framing, in order to "level" the floor, for the living-space use you desire.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote