Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-22-2009, 02:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Question

Garage foundation

I have a house built in the late 40's with an attached garage on a block slab. The garage sits on the slab with wood footers on three sides that are severely rotted and the bolts holding the wood to the blocks are rusted or have disappeared. How do I replace the wood footers and can I replace it with something that will not rot?

aikidoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 03:39 PM   #2

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 14

Garage foundation

What do define a wood footer as?

Could it possible be a sill plate that is bolted to the concrete?

If it is rotted, you have water problems from being too close to the outside grade and probably poor drainage. - Very common with a slab on grade construction without a stem wall to gain elevation.

Dick

concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 05:53 PM   #3

Garage foundation

Basically it looks like a 2 x 4 that's bolted to the blocks. The places that it has rotted are plainly exposed to the outside. So they certainly do get wet. There are other sections that you cannot see from the outside and appear, at least from the inside, to be in good shape. I want to replace the rotted pieces, the are actually pretty small sections on both sides of the entrance door and garage door opening. But they will get wet again, I suppose I should use pressure treated wood. but there's the issue of how do I get the old pieced out and the new ones in while that part of the garage is still supported. And how do I bolt them to the blocks if the existing bolt has rusted away.
aikidoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 06:57 PM   #4
Master General ReEngineer

Garage foundation

Ayuh,... Got a Picture,..??
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 07:13 PM   #5

Garage foundation

Spring some 2x4's (about an inch longer), at an angle, in under the top plates to lift the wall slightly, reciprocating saw the old bolts between the plate/slab, and cut the sill plate 2' past the rotten area. Replace with 2x4 pressure treated, nail studs and joint to old plate. Drill new wedge anchors with a hammer-drill and install- one within 12" of each end and every 3'o.c. with square washers, all galvanized.
Be safe, Gary
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:02 PM   #6

Garage foundation

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR in WA View Post
Spring some 2x4's (about an inch longer), at an angle, in under the top plates to lift the wall slightly, reciprocating saw the old bolts between the plate/slab, and cut the sill plate 2' past the rotten area. Replace with 2x4 pressure treated, nail studs and joint to old plate. Drill new wedge anchors with a hammer-drill and install- one within 12" of each end and every 3'o.c. with square washers, all galvanized.
Be safe, Gary
Rather than repair short sections of the sill plate, I would suggest replacing the whole plate with PT 2X4.
After supporting the roof as you suggest, I would cut the old plate out, slide a new one in. Achor it, as you say; then fasten the studs to the plate with galvanized angle brackets,
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:25 PM   #7

Garage foundation

"actually pretty small sections on both sides of the entrance door and garage door opening." ------ I was trying to give you the bare minimum of work, but I will add-----Put some siding on it.

" But they will get wet again" --------WHY? Are they lower than the slab so the water (under the doors?) pool there?
Be safe, Gary

Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
garage foundation