Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-16-2007, 08:39 PM   #1

Share |

Garage foundation

I am building a 24x 36 Garage and I need some info for the foundation. Will a 5" slab with gravel base and vapor barrier work? There will be no second floor. I will put anchors into the concrete and do a pressure treated sill.

Any suggestions on this? Should I go one block high off the slab then start my wood frame. I want the ceiling to be 10' high.

Any advice would great.
Thanks
Dylan
seaside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 09:41 PM   #2
Kyle Emerick

Garage foundation

I just had a slab done for a 1000 square foot addition. It is 4" thick on 2" or 3" of 3/8" crushed gravel. The footings are 12" wide and 3' deep or more all the way around with a number 4 rebar I believe. A vapor barrier was done and rebar was used instead of wire mesh.

I too have 10' ceilings. I think the block idea is a great one. That will make some things easy like if you wanted to hose out the garage.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:15 AM   #3

Garage foundation

Did you use 2x4 or 2x6 for studs with a 10 foot ceiling? I'm thinking of building mine with 10 ft walls with storage above (2x10 joists).

Thanks
dmend
dmend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 08:51 AM   #4
Kyle Emerick

Garage foundation

All of my walls on my addition are 2x4 except for one that was done with 2x6s as the lower portion was turned into a stem wall, due to an embankment on that side of the house. My ceilings are 20'+ x 20'+ and only 2x4 trusses were used. There are tons of Galleries during the remodel accessable via my signature or you can just go here:

http://www.emerickdesigns.com/gallery_house.html