Garage Doors - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-04-2013, 10:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Garage doors

I want to remove my garage door and I believe it is called a barn style doors. It's the two big doors that open side ways like a front door not up. I am very handy and could make a plain one easy by making a frame and making two 4 foot doors out of a slab of fine plywood but I want to put windows in but not sure how to install them

Advertisement

diemondd47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:53 AM   #2
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

Garage doors

If I understand this, you want to remove your overhead garage door and replace it with two hinged doors. And you want to use plywood as a base for the doors. Plywood alone will not make a good door. It will warp all up and will soon start to delaminate. What you need to look at is more like a barn door, which is made from a frame with diagonal bracing that is then covered with some tongue and groove siding. It is possible to frame a window opening in a door like that. The other thing you'll need to consider is whether you have sufficient framing in the garage walls to carry the hinged weight of the doors.

Advertisement

Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:04 AM   #3

Garage doors

I was thinking the like a solid slab of ply wood order like a butcher block or a 2in solid piece of plywood not the cheap glued together ones the frame is strong enofe
Old 02-05-2013, 11:08 AM   #4

Garage doors

But what u r saying they frame them inside with im guessing like 2x2 then put the finish on the out side of it